The Death of Windows XP is Coming!

Guest Lavell_merged

got to say, I don't believe anything they say because how many times have they changed their tune since Vista? When an OEM like Dell demands something, you either listen, or you lose business...take your pick. MS will choose to stick with XP a while longer, mark my words. And not just Home as that would actually be about the dumbest thing possible since the majority of XP sales right now are Pro on biz laptops etc.

press releases = bull crap about 95% of the time (from ANY company)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extended XP availability is all about profits. If it wasn't for the emerging sub $300.00 laptop market the Home version would not have seen a reprieve. Although the part of the press release that mentions post-June availability of Home cold be bull too I suppose.

Damn straight, XP seems to be more popular than ever now with the majority of users. Even those who use Vista still rely on XP either on a different machine or a dual boot scenario. They will hold onto the XP cash cow for as long as they can.

I'd like a poll. For those of us that actually have to visit various homes and businesses during the course of the day to deal with computer problems, what makes you happier when you first see the machine. One with XP or one with Vista?

I'll vote first - XP*100

Those people on other sites must be smoking crack :) And if that makes Vista more appealing then I want some of what they're having.

I'd like a poll. For those of us that actually have to visit various homes and businesses during the course of the day to deal with computer problems, what makes you happier when you first see the machine. One with XP or one with Vista?

I would be all confident on the way there with my little jump drive and precision toolkit thinking that it was XP I was going to deal with and when I saw that Aero desktop, I would say "who called for a plumber....no one, ok bye" :D

http://www.thenewstribune.com/tacoma/24hou...ory/325573.html

""The low-cost machines have smaller hard drives, less memory and slower processors than most Windows computers sold today, and most would have a hard time running the bulkier Windows Vista.

The Classmate PC is currently marketed with Windows XP Professional, and the newest editions sell for between $300 and $500. The Eee PC, which costs around $400, comes with a Linux operating system.

A full version of XP Home will be able to run on most computers in this category, but Microsoft said hardware still varies widely. The $188 XO laptop from the One Laptop per Child organization, for example, is too weak to run a standard version of XP. Microsoft is customizing a version of XP for that machine.

Microsoft had planned to stop selling most versions of XP at the end of June 2008, with exceptions for small computer-building shops and PCs sold in developing countries.

But surprising demand in developed countries for what it calls ultra-low-cost personal computers prompted Redmond-based Microsoft to extend that deadline.""

1)Probably has less to do with Low cost machine's, and more to do with how bad vista really is.

2)Is there anyway we can get our hands on one of those stripped down version's of XP that they are talking about. :D

I don't exactly agree with that; Vista is pretty popular on a lot of other forums/sites.

you'd have a hard time convincing me of that and I go to the popular forums like pcper, anandtech, hardocp, overclockersclub, etc, and always the theme is the same: XP rules, Vista sucks moldy dog balls.

If there are forums out there bigger than these that say opposite, then I'd like to know who they are. Little forums with 1,000 members don't count.

you'd have a hard time convincing me of that and I go to the popular forums like pcper, anandtech, hardocp, overclockersclub, etc, and always the theme is the same: XP rules, Vista sucks moldy dog balls.

If there are forums out there bigger than these that say opposite, then I'd like to know who they are. Little forums with 1,000 members don't count.

I have had exactly the same experience on the forums that I frequent. One that comes to mind is HP's Business Support Forums. The majority of threads are about downgrading to XP. We tell them that it is an upgrade. These are computers supposedly built for Vista.