The Death of Windows XP is Coming!

Guest Lavell_merged

If computer makers can install and sell it until early next year, it will certainly have to be good for a period after that.

My guess is that we will have updates on it at least thru 2009.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting read from this CNET blogger. MS still has a market for XP in the new flash based pc's. A lot of these pc's come with LINUX and are exceptionally affordable pc's that your parents & grandparents would use. Still that's a pretty good sized market. If I was MS, I wouldn't give up XP just yet at all. I think that Windows Me analogy is correct regarding VISTA. After suffering through Win Me, XP was incredible. I think it's too early to say good bye to XP.

Guest Lavell

I definitely agree with you Slick. When you think about it, Vista has been nothing more than Window ME Second Edition. I'm pissed off because I was really looking forward to installing a 64-bit OS. But until a true 64-bit OS (without driver and compatibility issues) is released, I guess I'll continue to use Windows XP.

I also think that Microsoft should just scrap Vista chalk it up as a loss, recode DX10 to work in Windows XP and work on a new OS, but until then they definitely need to change the name from Vista to Windows ME Second Edition.

But until a true 64-bit OS (without driver and compatibility issues) is released, I guess I'll continue to use Windows XP.

Whelp.......XP & VISTA 64 bit are true 64 bit OS. The problem lies with software developers & hardware manufacturers not spending a lot of resources to make better 64 bit software & drivers. Most development time goes towards 32 bit applications & drivers because that is the most widely used OS. What needs to occur for 64 bit to become successful, is all 32 bit OS are dropped. That would force adoption of 64 bit by all vendors/manufacturers of software/hardware. Until that happens, 64 bit will always be a bit of a step child. Loved by a few and ignored by the majority.

all 32 bit OS are dropped

Sounds like something Microsoft would do, try to dictate how the market will be. Double edged sword that one and one side is a lot sharper than the other.

I cringe EVERY time I get a service call on a machine with Vista. Absolutely CRINGE. It's nice that Dell still offers the option of XP Professional on their Vostro Desktops and Laptops. Thank you Dell.

As long as Dell is in the game, we can expect continued support for XP. Not to mention the millions of commercial and corporate users of XP.

I don't plan on Vista going on any of my personal rigs in the near future, and in fact have had a few customers who wanted Vista OFF their recent computer purchase and XP on. Gotta love people who have common sense.

and now MS announces they are NOT going to kill XP at the end of June like they've been threatening...so no, XP is not dying anytime soon ;)

XP Home only.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feature...04-03xpeos.mspx

PressPass: Will Microsoft extend sales of other editions of Windows XP?

Dix: No, there is no plan to extend sales of other editions of Windows XP beyond June 30, 2008. We are very proud of the progress that we have made with Windows Vista over the last sixteen months. Since its launch, Windows Vista has become the fastest-selling operating system in Microsoft history, and more than 100 million Windows Vista licenses have been sold worldwide.

Last fall, our OEM partners asked us to extend sales of Windows XP to give their customers more time to transition to Windows Vista while we worked with other software vendors to expand application compatibility. Today, more than 2,500 applications have received the Windows Vista logo (a ten-fold increase since launch) and more than 78,000 devices and components are supported by drivers either in-box or on Windows Update. On NPD’s list of the top 100 consumer applications selling at retail, 98 are now compatible—and the latest versions of the top free downloads (Adobe Reader, Shockwave and iTunes) are all compatible.

Given this landscape and after consulting with our partners, apart from today’s announced extension of Windows XP Home for ULCPCs, we are maintaining the timelines we announced in September.

I should also note that there will also be no impact on our technical support plans—mainstream technical support will continue to be available until April 2009 and extended support will continue until April 2014.