The Death of Windows XP is Coming!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lavell_*

Guest_Lavell_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

Everyone here needs to have a black suit or black dress at-the-ready. We will all be attending the funeral services of Windows XP very soon. Be prepared to pay your respects to the best operating system Microsoft has ever released. For more information, read the following article.

http://www.computerw...ticleId=9070119

This is the perfect opportunity for all of us to write our farewell speeches. So break out that new Microsoft Word document and begin typing!

I respectfully request Angry Games to coordinate the funeral services. What kind of casket will Windows XP be buried in?

#2 Yukon Trooper

Yukon Trooper

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

What kind of casket will Windows XP be buried in?

Apple shaped box. :P

#3 Angry_Games

Angry_Games

Honorary Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27999 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:12 AM

I doubt XP is dying anytime soon with SP3 being released and Vista selling like a lead turd in a jello factory...
Diablo III arrives at Angry's house:
Posted Image

#4 MACarter02

MACarter02

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:20 AM

Microsoft's product life-cycle guidelines grew out of two sets of needs: Microsoft's need to make a profit

This article is in a way claiming that this is Microsoft's big middle finger to people who don't want to switch. It's about them making money, not about the fact that a large number of people hate it.

#5 slick2500

slick2500

mmm beer

• Folding Member
  • 2405 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

I doubt XP is dying anytime soon with SP3 being released and Vista selling like a lead turd in a jello factory...

Don't you mean snow cones in Alaska in the middle of January?

Intel i7 9700k - ASRock Phantom Gaming SLI/AC - 16GB GSkill RIPJAWS V DDR 3200 - EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Black Edition - Samsumg 850 Evo

sigimage.gif

"My friend's I am here to warn you that should you ever stumble across a website with top notch "content" on the front page that just so happens to be sorted by a rating system, please. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world. DO NOT GO TO THE LAST PAGE! What has been seen, cannot be unseen."

-WARDOZERX

#6 momoceio

momoceio

Total Nerd

• Folding Member
  • 2919 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:21 AM

I'm not touching Vista again, I'm waiting for the next OS to be released before I use another new MS OS.

I can hardly see them killing off XP since practically 99% of the corporate world is still using XP because Vista really offers nothing that a corporate environment really really needs for the most part. I think they'll be forced to offer updates at least for a few more years until they actually put out an OS that is better than XP and not just a little better. There were many things in XP that should have been fixed in Vista that they just ignored.
Posted Image

#7 Branjo

Branjo

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4407 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

I'm with you momo, I want to see a dramatic improvement or some really nice new stable features added to the next OS. I think its time for MS to go back to basics. Better utilization for the hardware that the majority already has, and only in a home or pro version not 6 different flavors of ice cream when all we really want is chocolate or vanilla...lol.

Q6600 3.6Ghz/ 1.43v(air)/ OCZ Vendetta 2 / P35 DS3R / 4x 2gb G.Skill / XFX HD6870 / Xigmatek NRP 750w / Antec P182 / Monitor, Keyboard and one of those Mouse thingy's.

#8 dr_bowtie

dr_bowtie

Chronic Haggler...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18282 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

that and none of that DRM crap....

Heck in XP I can transfer music files from one PC to another with any IM agent and such but Vista is a pain to get that working...

Not to mention sound quality sucks to high heaven...only reason I havent touched it yet...
Wii-Kart code 2707-2013-4642~~~~~~ Diablo 3 drbowtie#1495

Commodore64....playing Crysis on high

Posted Image

**Noctua Owners Club: Member #2 - NH-D14**

#9 momoceio

momoceio

Total Nerd

• Folding Member
  • 2919 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:05 AM

Personally, I think they should take all of their code and pitch it and start from the ground up. Screw backwards compatibility, that can be taken care of with virtualization technology now anyway. They just need to totally rethink the way they are doing things. I saw some demos of a new kernel they were working on and it looked like it was a good building block for a new OS...so hopefully Windows 7 will be what we expected Vista to be and more.
Posted Image

#10 old_geekster

old_geekster

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:31 AM

Apple shaped box. :P

If all I have to use is "Vista", my next computer will come in an "Apple" shaped box.:P (Microsoft). I am seeing the rebellion first hand on other forums. The folks purchasing HP/Compaq computers are leaving "Vista" by the droves. These computers are supposed to be built with Vista in mind. What a joke.
Cooler Master, Wave Master (Silver)
Samsung, SyncMaster 226BW
DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra D 939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo
OCZ, GXS 600W
OCZ, Gold GX 2GB
XFX, GeForce 7900GTX (665MHz) 512MB
Hitachi, Deskstar 7K80 (2 ea.)
XP Pro SP3; Ubuntu, Hardy Heron 8.04 (Second drive)

#11 slick2500

slick2500

mmm beer

• Folding Member
  • 2405 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

I have even tried to like Vista but its been such a pain in the butt, performance issues, audio problems, uac, and driver issues. I went back to XP X64, Vista needs a lot of help if it ever wants to be on the same playing field as XP. I also think that Microsoft should just scrap Vista chalk it up as a loss, recode DX10 to work in Windows XP and work on a new OS, but until then they definitely need to change the name from Vista to Windows ME Second Edition.

Intel i7 9700k - ASRock Phantom Gaming SLI/AC - 16GB GSkill RIPJAWS V DDR 3200 - EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Black Edition - Samsumg 850 Evo

sigimage.gif

"My friend's I am here to warn you that should you ever stumble across a website with top notch "content" on the front page that just so happens to be sorted by a rating system, please. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world. DO NOT GO TO THE LAST PAGE! What has been seen, cannot be unseen."

-WARDOZERX

#12 radodrill

radodrill

Resident EI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6915 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

they definitely need to change the name from Vista to Windows ME Second Edition.

I'd vote for calling it Shitsa.
Project RAD-GT

Hardware: DFI LanParty NF680i SLI LT T2R/G | Intel Q6600 G0 | OCZ 2x1Gb Reaper DDR2-1150
2x BFG 8800 GTX (650/2000) | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Silverstone Strider ST1000
WD 250Gb SATA | WD 400Gb SATA | Lite-On LH-20A1L SATA DVD-R/RW DL

Cooling: DangerDen TDX CPU| DangerDen Maze4 SB | DangerDen i875 NB
2x DangerDen 8800GTX | HW Labs BIX3 | HW Labs X-Flow BIX3 | LIANG D5