Sign in to follow this  
RaZoR1394

Bottom pci slot not working/conflict

Ok so I bought two burners and two VIA PCI sata cards for both my computers to cope with the increased number of SATA devices and to get rid of the IDE units. Burners seem to work fine luckily. Unfortunately my first client is locking up at boot when eSATA drives are connected to the new Via VT6421 card. Currently I have an eSATA bracket connected to the only SATA slot on the VIA card and there is also an eSATA port by default on the back. Connecting to these does not work without the computer locking up.

The other client has one internal harddrive connected to the new VIA card but it doesn't lock up with it however I can't see it in GNU/Linux. It only locks up when connecting a eSATA drive to either of the back eSATA connectors on the two VIA cards.

Both Windows XP and Ubuntu are having this problem on the first client. I have only tried Ubuntu on the second one. I have disabled all unnecessary things like IRDA, COM, IDE and AC97.

I'm wondering if this could be an IRQ conflict problem but I don't know what more to to other than just remove the cards.

I find this weird. On my first client the Audigy card connected to the upper pci slot is working fine while the second client locks up when an eSATA device is connected to either VIA cards.

However if this would be an eSATA problem (maybe the long eSATA cables don't work so well with the VIA card), why is one of my internal drives not working?

Please help me bring this out of the dark.

although i dont understand jack sh.t of what are saying, dont worry thats me, cant you check the irq's to see if its a problem?

Hello,

Client 1.

If the PC is off and you plug a drive into the esata port + power the drive.

Then turn on the PC, does it still lock up?

Sorry if my english is bad but It's not my native language.

My first client is watercooled so it uses a special switch that switches on devices like speakerset, external eSATA harddrives, pump automatically when the computer powers on. I have to do this because the pump is not taking power from the PSU. But I will try your advice first. Then I will try swapping places of the Audigy card with the VIA SATA card.

edit:

I can also add that I have tried these switches on client 1: pci=routeirq, irqpoll, pci=noacpi without any results.

This is a snippet from my dmesg (client 1):

[email protected]:~$ dmesg | grep via

[ 72.835693] sata_via 0000:01:07.0: version 2.3

[ 72.835967] sata_via 0000:01:07.0: routed to hard irq line 5

[ 72.836540] scsi4 : sata_via

[ 72.836929] scsi5 : sata_via

[ 72.837216] scsi6 : sata_via

I'm not sure of how to check IRQ:s. I think you can do that under Windows in the device manager but I'm not sure of how to do it under Ubuntu.

Ok, so now I have tried swapping places of the two pci cards (VIA and Audigy) without any results. I will try removing the Audigy 4 card and if it doesn't work then the VIA card is probably DOA.

Running the VIA card as the only pci card in either slot 1 or 2 makes no difference on my first client. Any ideas? I also checked if there were any IRQ conflicts with the VIA card in Windows but XP says there are none.

Ok from what I've gathered from a thread on Viaarena (VIA support) this card has severe problems with eSATA. There are other threads regarding this issue as well.

http://www.tkarena.com/forums/ide-sata-rai...t6421-card.html

Either It's incompatible with all my eSATA cases or the signaling strength is too low making it impossible to use eSATA cables over 1m. Still my eSATA cable is exactly 1m but it may be just too close to the limit.