Best gaming monitor?

Neural_Overload

Sure higher is better, but since most manufacturers measure contrast ratio using different methods, resulting in sometimes overblown ratios.

Is it measured in a completly dark room or a lighted one, etc.

The best way to shop is by viewing it yourself and then coming up with your own "who's better than who's " monitor.

I did this same thing when I purchased my HD Television.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I originally bought a Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW from bestbuy (I compared image quality to the other monitors they had on display) and loved it except for the overall blue dominance and the fact that I could not get DVI to work (it worked for like a day and went out or something).

Guest SuppA-SnipA

i have a 20.1 inch DCLCD (Sceptre) 1000:1 Contrast Ratio, i love it, even use it with my 360 :)

It is good however, the contrast ratio is nowhere near the Samsung's (700:1 vs. 8000:1). Higher is better, correct?

Higher is better but many of them post a hypothetical "dynamic contrast" which is meaning less. This is the same as HDTV's, I did read somewhere that 1000:1 is like a limit on true contrast ratio(not sure if its a fact?). But they all started doing this for marketing, and like already said all the manufacturers use different measuring styles.

It kind of sucks that there isn't a standardized way of measuring contrast ratio because it makes it very hard to tell which monitor really is the best, without actually seeing it in person of course. Also, for me it is rather had to actually get to bestbuy or any other computer store because the closest one is 45+ miles away :(

Samsung makes outstanding LCD's and Plasma TV's. I've got one of each and am completely in love with both of them. If your heart is set on the one you've chosen in your first post, then by all means I'd say go for it, and I'm sure you'll be happy that you did. I was just pointing out that Acer is making some great LCD's right now too, and you cant beat the price.

I'm using a Chimei CMV221D right now on my personal rig (daughter has the Sammy), and I've been 100% satisfied with the Chimei, so there is another option to consider too.

The Samsung you've chosen trumps the two monitors I've already mentioned in pixel response time at 2ms versus 5ms. But there is ZERO ghosting on my Chimei monitor with any game or DVD I play. And I'm a pretty hard core gamer.