Sign in to follow this  
timmytoes

[Resolved] Trying to go SLI with 2 MSI 8800 GT

I think this is the wrong section, I can't see a way to delete the thread so I'll just mention it here. I created a new thread in the video cards section.

So I've been doing various searches of the forums and haven't seen one I'm looking for so I'll explain what I have and see what your thoughts are.

I am looking to replace my 7800 GTX with two MSI 8800 GT. Both cards work just fine in the box together. I can start up Crysis no problem, so I don't think I have a power problem. I originally got a big PS so that I would be able to go SLI one day if I wanted to. It's SLI certified. GPU-z shows them as 16x and 2x.

After RTMing I realized that I needed to move the jumpers from single VGA mode to dual. No problem, all 6 modules are now 2-3. And SLI aperture sounded interesting so I enabled it too in the BIOS. I also used the SLI bracket. It doesn't say "this way up", so I figure it's universal, but I've tried it both ways anyway.

Box posts fine. Get windows loading screen, then the screen blanks. I can hear windows complete booting and starting to find the other card. If I hit the shutdown button on the PC windows shuts down just fine as well. I thought maybe I have the wrong VGA interface, so I tried all 4. I expected it to be the top card port 1. Each time windows correctly beeped at me letting me know it had found a new device, each time, my monitor went back to sleep with no display.

Reading the PCI2.0 problems sticky it sounds like what I have should work. I do know that when I do get into windows that I need to use the NVidia Control Panel and enable SLI mode.

I'd appreciate any ideas you have. Thanks.

"I can't see a way to delete the thread so I'll just mention it here."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you, as the original author will have an edit button for you post, click it, then you will be able to delete your message...

as far as your problem, SLI mode is enabled in the bios along with the jumper thang, right?.......and you say you got a huge PS, it would be nice to know which one you are running with, some units, although SLI certified, may still not have enough 'punch' to run on a DFI NF4 board, especially in SLI....

laterzzzz..........

I think this is the wrong section, I can't see a way to delete the thread so I'll just mention it here. I created a new thread in the video cards section.

So I've been doing various searches of the forums and haven't seen one I'm looking for so I'll explain what I have and see what your thoughts are.

I am looking to replace my 7800 GTX with two MSI 8800 GT. Both cards work just fine in the box together. I can start up Crysis no problem, so I don't think I have a power problem. I originally got a big PS so that I would be able to go SLI one day if I wanted to. It's SLI certified. GPU-z shows them as 16x and 2x.

After RTMing I realized that I needed to move the jumpers from single VGA mode to dual. No problem, all 6 modules are now 2-3. And SLI aperture sounded interesting so I enabled it too in the BIOS. I also used the SLI bracket. It doesn't say "this way up", so I figure it's universal, but I've tried it both ways anyway.

Box posts fine. Get windows loading screen, then the screen blanks. I can hear windows complete booting and starting to find the other card. If I hit the shutdown button on the PC windows shuts down just fine as well. I thought maybe I have the wrong VGA interface, so I tried all 4. I expected it to be the top card port 1. Each time windows correctly beeped at me letting me know it had found a new device, each time, my monitor went back to sleep with no display.

Reading the PCI2.0 problems sticky it sounds like what I have should work. I do know that when I do get into windows that I need to use the NVidia Control Panel and enable SLI mode.

I'd appreciate any ideas you have. Thanks.

Hello, sorry you are having troubles, let's see if we can help.

There is a sticky Angry posted explaining how to correctly set up a DFI SLI-DR with the proper power connectors. This is especially important when running in SLI mode.

Have you gone into BIOS and made the correct settings changes?

Most importantly the "Set PCI-Express configuration to '8-NC-4-8' and

enable 'SLI Broadcast Aperture'.

I see you have set the jumper already on your board.

good luck, I am sure you will get it straightened out, if not post back and let us know.

Thanks for the initial posts. Here are my updates:

Power Supply is a Enermax EG565P-VE(24P). When I originally bought it, it was supposed to be able to handle two 7800 GTX cards in SLI mode. My understanding is that 8800s are more efficient power wise.

I added the extra two power connectors to the MB. Never had these in over two years, and the system has been a rock since I built it.

"Most importantly the "Set PCI-Express configuration to '8-NC-4-8' and

enable 'SLI Broadcast Aperture'."

I assume that the PCI-E config mentioned is the jumpers. According to the manual, by setting the jumpers to 2-3, it is supposed to be in that mode now.

SLI Broadcast Aperture is set to auto. There was just auto and disabled.

That power supply may be too weak.

As for the Set PCI-Express configuration to '8-NC-4-8' , you will find this setting in BIOS, it is not a jumper.

I've looked for it twice. Any hints on which section it's in. It's very possible that I'm just zipping by it, there are a lot of settings.

I'm not sure that a 535W PSU would be enough for a pair of 8800GTs; I'd suggest around a 700W PSU for that configuration.

Hello,

The "8-NC-4-8'" is on the Expert and Venus boards, not the SLI-DR.

You mentioned that it gets to the windows loading screen, what happens if you boot into safe mode?

If you can uninstall the nvidia drivers and restart.

If not use 1 card and uninstall the nvidia drivers and try again.

Also use the latest 8800 series nvidia drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21_whql.html

Hello,

The "8-NC-4-8'" is on the Expert and Venus boards, not the SLI-DR.

You mentioned that it gets to the windows loading screen, what happens if you boot into safe mode?

If you can uninstall the nvidia drivers and restart.

If not use 1 card and uninstall the nvidia drivers and try again.

Also use the latest 8800 series nvidia drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21_whql.html

Ah, Sharp is correct, sorry for sending you on a goose chase for that genie BIOS setting.

I'll try the safe mode thing when I get home tonight.

Can I boot into safe mode with one card and still keep the jumpers on SLI? They're a real pain to move back and forth, even with the nice jumper puller that is supplied. Kudos to DFI for providing literally everything you could ever use with their MB.

It's a 565w PS, not a 535. As two single cards the system works fine, stable, etc. So unless SLI mode specifically uses significantly more power, I'm not thinking this is a problem.

I have the lastest drivers, but I did not remove them when I installed the second card. The first one worked just fine, and was a big enough boost that I thought I'd get a second card. I just plugged the 2nd card in. Messed around with trying to turn on SLI, then broke out the manual and found the jumpers.

Can I boot into safe mode with one card and still keep the jumpers on SLI?

The jumpers change the PCI-e slot configuration from x16-x2 to x8-x8; plenty of people have used this configuration to run a single card in the lower slot.