E8400-Temps Air Only..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I ever go with two 3870's in Crossfire, I'll have to go back to air too, not enough room in my case for H20 plumbing and parts + two video cards. I wouldn't be afraid to run my E8400 at 3.6 - 3.8ghz 24/7 with a good air cooler based on my initial results when I first built this rig.

Hello.... Ok thanks guys that`s what i wanted to hear i have read alot of reviews on Newegg and many have said good temps. high clocks. I wanted some of the guys here to let me know. (trust u guys more). I will get 1 now to see how much better it is than my very good E6750. Will still keep this chip for awhile just in case.

You won't be disappointed with the OC ability of the E8400. I bought mine on a wing and a prayer, and it hasn't been anything but spectacular. Nicer is that I bought mine at almost $40 cheaper than they are going for now :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had mine for about 4 days now and am very happy with it. It's prime stable for about 12 hours now (and still testing as of this post) at 4Ghz cooled by a tuniq tower 120. I set the vcore in the bios to 1.40 and the actual vcore is about 1.36. With ambient temperature at 70F on prime 95 blend it fluctuates between 56C and 65C and idles at 43C. Absolute max vcore is 1.45 but its recommended that you stay under 1.40. I think mwave.com still has some as of this post.

There are guys that run much more than 4G on air. You need a good cooler for this and a push pull fan set up as well. The Noctua is not an extreme good cooler and the fan wasn’t designed for high speed but for silence. I use it on my 3800+ dual core and it doesn’t do an extreme good job at 2.7G. The temps. hitting 60C at 1.5V. I have no clue what air cooler is good at this time since I have been using water for the last 4 years. I built some rigs with the Tuniq Tower which seemed to be a good performer on a E6600 at 4G and 1.5V.

Every chip is different its the luck of the draw. Mine won't go any faster and still remain stable on prime 95. I started to get the vcore up over 1.40 and it still failed prime at 4.1Ghz and the load temps started getting out of my comfort zone. But heh, I've seen em approaching 5Ghz on ORB. Gotta be real careful with the vcore on these 45nm chips. There is talk about e8400 going belly up after a few weeks of 1.45 + vcore settings. It's not necessarily the heat but the over voltage thats killing them.

My tems are Idle: 40c=cpu 34=mobo / load: 55c=cpu 38c=mobo. This is at 3600mhz on a SFF setup. I'm sure i can get my temps down another 5-8c if i changed out my cpu HS with a better one.