E8400-Temps Air Only..

Hello Is it true what i have read about this chips 3.6-3.8 low temps on air.If anyone has one on air let me know if you are getting close to 4G air. I have E6750 now 3.3 @ room temp 22c playing COD4 temp 40c. If i can get to 3.8 around the same temps with E8400 let me know. Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noctua NH-U12F, I hadn't a clue what that was lol, googled it and it looks like a good one. You need to find out what temps your hitting under full load, I don't think COD4 gets anywhere near 100% load. Give OCCT, Prime or Orthos a quick 30 run to see what the load temps are. I would assume that around 60C is what you want to keep it under for 24/7 a few degrees higher is still fine, personally I don't like getting near the 60C mark.

Hi Branjo Did a quick Orthos 30mins. the highest it went was 47c stay around 44-46c most of the time. I know these are good temps. but if i can get this kind of temps. with a E8400 @ 3.6-3.8. that is way i am asking if anyone here has one (E8400)

heh I wish we had some E8400's. Newegg is out of stock and I have no clue when they'll be back.

Remember the original Core2's...they were all hitting 4Ghz easily but the actual retail chips that you could buy (not the engineering samples all these piece of . review sites were using and screaming about 4Ghz overclocks!!!) weren't anywhere near as good.

With some actual retail E8400's in real hands (not piece of . reviewer hands/sites), we'll see a much more robust scene full of information and testing etc.

Hopefully that will come soon!

Zackyo,

You can see my stable 4.0ghz OCDB entry using an E8400 and Gigabyte X38 board over in the Socket LGA775 OCDB. That entry was a snap. I didn't even try to push it any further because I was ready to put it to real use. I'm water cooling, but my w/c setup isn't spectacular by any means.

The highest temp I've recorded using core temp is 46C on core #1 after eight hours of Orthos with a room temperature of 22C.

Strange thing about the E8400 is the huge disparity between the reported CPU temperature versus the temperatures reported on the individual cores.

Well I didn't plumb all my water cooling right off the bat with a brand new processor and brand new motherboard - until I made sure it was going to do what I expected.

Zalman 9700LED, and you shouldn't have any problem hitting 3.6-3.8ghz on air with that processor. It uses lower voltage, is fabbed on the 45nm core and cpuz reports my default voltage at 1.12vcore. All of those add up to a cooler running processor than the previous 65nm cores.

couple of shots of Prime 95 running and immediately after it was stopped.

Using Praz's recommendation of keeping Vcore at Auto and just using Special VID% increases.

2670 at Idle and 4005 when under load. :)

Runs cool and quiet 95% of the time.

Compare the Real Temps between the two.

It was a 48 hour run so everything gets warm.

Zalman CNPS9700LED cooler.

The apartment is fairly warm cause I am an oldfaht and heat is included in the rent.

The DTS sensors are a little wonky to day the least.

I suggest using Real Temp and think it is far more accurate than CoreTemp/Everest with this chip.

Core #1 will prime at 4200 at the same voltages but I can't seem to get Core #0 to Prime anywhere over 4100MHz no matter what the voltage.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//48-hr-Prime.JPG

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//48-...ime-Stopped.JPG

But there is no doubt these Wolfies rock.

Xean E3110 is the same chip and TankGuys will have them in tomorrow for $199 (OEM)

http://www.tankguys.com/product_info.php?products_id=1816