X38 or 780i

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gigabyte board is nowhere to be found in CANADA. :(

Only reason im going with X38 over P35 is 2.0. Or else P5K Premium it was

how about this thing? Like already said! I got one home brand new and I need to test it. Once I'm done I can let you know how good it is!

Turns out there is a complete change of plans.

I just purchased the EVGA b-stock 8800GTS 640mb for $170.

So im gonna be SLI'ing them and gonna pickup the 780i + Q6700 combo at TD.

Thanks alot! Very hectic haha

HITandRUN very helpful :)

with the 780i you won't need any voltage tweak's on CPU and just run yuor ram at spec volt's and timming's. The 780i overclock's rel well and it is really easy. If 3.6 is all your looking for. The 780i also has ESS which is a really nice feature.

Would the PSU handle it though?

Hum? If it would be me I would replace it with something stronger just to make sure. I mean I hat to see a rig like this getting smoked because of a PSU being undersized. In any case you should meter the rails when you fire up running a benchie! If the rails drop to low or whats even worse going up and down than "no good"

I dont own a multimeter, but i can check in everest right? or speedfan.

Also, could i get that Thermaltake Purepower 250watt that goes in the CD drive area? To give dedicated power to the GPU's?

I think you would be on the razors edge with the required Amperage with the Muskin and I think the Drive bay PSU would be hard pressed

to run 2 8800's on its own. The only way to have complete piece of mind is getting a new PSU that you know could handle them both plus everything else.

Don't rush out and buy a new PSU just yet as im no expert on PSU's and you could be fine with just the Muskin. (Hopefully you will be)

I think the problems might come when you start to Overclock later on, lol cause you know your gonna :D

Its going to be a very fast rig when you get her built, but don't SLI it straight away.

Do a one card setup and get all your drivers in first then if all is sweet and stable put the other one in, you probably know this anyway.

I think OCCT would be a good app to use to measure voltage fluctuation's, run a quick custom 30 min test and when it finishes it will give you some pretty graphs of your voltage ripples and temps.

BTW a 640Mb for $170 was a freaking sweet purchase