Sign in to follow this  
Darkorb

X38 or 780i

both use same bios. ,driffrent north-south heat sinks. the P5E has a sticker under 1 vid. card slot ,then under the sticher it says Maximus Formula thats the way mine is! You can see it on toms hardware or anatec cant remember will look after work. Thats why i got a P5E less $ (open box at local Pc Club $ 200) same board diff. hs's. have to go to work.

Did you decide if you want to go SLI or Crossfire? I mean this is the decision you will have to make in order to get this upgrade done! I ran SLI once and it was a lot of fun but by the time I was ready to afford the second card there was something else out there which was better than my SLI so for the future I decided to go with the best overclocker out there and don't spend the money on SLI or Crossfire. With this being said the X38 is a killer chipset. Just wanted to show another angle of the story. I just upgraded to the new Gigabyte EX38-DQ6 and this thing is running like a champ. I also just got the ABIT IX38-QuadGT yesterday and will take it for a spin to see how it performs! If you wait a week or two you may find it in my for sale section! :)

Oh perfect!

I dont no whetehr im doing SLI or CROSSFIRE yet. I dont think ill ever buy 2 cards. I have a 8800GTS 640mb now, and instead of buying another one of those, i could just buy a 3870X2 or somthign.

But besides that, im not going to be upgrading my Video card for a while. Hoping the new CPU power can make up for that, and i can OC CPU higher if needed.

Oh perfect!

I dont no whetehr im doing SLI or CROSSFIRE yet. I dont think ill ever buy 2 cards. I have a 8800GTS 640mb now, and instead of buying another one of those, i could just buy a 3870X2 or somthign.

But besides that, im not going to be upgrading my Video card for a while. Hoping the new CPU power can make up for that, and i can OC CPU higher if needed.

Sounds like no SLI or Crossfire! Well, I would go for the X38 or X48 if you got the cash for DDR3 and thats it! :)

Dark,

If you want a spectacular motherboard and plan on staying with a single card video solution......

I'd have to side with HiTandRUN, get you a Gigabyte GA-EX38 in whatever flavor you like. I've got the X38-DS4 and it is a spectacular motherboard (the X version has been deactivated and replaced with the EX version).

Hows this deal?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...=MBM-780I-Q6700

I cant find any X38 gigabyte boards on canadacomputer, NCIX or Tiger direct..

Well it is a great deal I guess! Why the 780i mobo? Changed your mind and going SLI? I my eyes the Q6700 is a waste since the only thing different from the Q6600 is the max multi which is 10 for the 6700 and 9 for the 6600. 9 multi is plenty to get this chip to the max. I had mine running at 3.8G, 475x8 @ 1.5V 24/7 and let me tell you how much heat this thing was producing. Buy the mobo separately and look for a q6600 if you want a quad. BTW: I thought Newegg ships to Canada?

I wish!

I would be getting much better stuff then :)

So much cheaper!

So that combo isnt a good deal? Only reason it caught my eye is cuz my friend is getting that, and the 780 is $280 alone, so that means the Q6700 is $220?

I agree with HITandRUN, its like the difference between an E4300 and E4400, they are both gonna max out at approximately the same speed but only the multi is different and a multi of 9 is plenty to take a Quad to the max, they are superb CPU's even at stock.

I think for 99 out of 100 people a TRI SLI board is never gonna have 3 cards in it, hell I would even guess that most SLI boards only have one card in them lol, Save yourself some cash Dark and put the money into 4 Gigs of nice DDR2 and some nice cooling stuff.

and then overclock the snot out of them :)

I agree with HITandRUN, its like the difference between an E4300 and E4400, they are both gonna max out at approximately the same speed but only the multi is different and a multi of 9 is plenty to take a Quad to the max, they are superb CPU's even at stock.

I think for 99 out of 100 people a TRI SLI board is never gonna have 3 cards in it, hell I would even guess that most SLI boards only have one card in them lol, Save yourself some cash Dark and put the money into 4 Gigs of nice DDR2 and some nice cooling stuff.

and then overclock the snot out of them :)

My idea of a rig! :)

Yep. 2x2gb G.Skill, Thermalrigth TRUE.

Gonna go for Q6600 and Probably the P5E or Maximus Formula :) TY

Making up your mind! I see! I don't know abut the ASUS stuff but everything else looks good!