swap os to new rig

possum

have new rig ( intell ). want to swap os from old rig ( amd ) or just swap hard drive and do repair? os is xp home. possible or what?

new rig: asus maximus q6600 2gig ballistix

thermaltake 850 ati 3870 80 gig hitachi

have new rig ( intell ). want to swap os from old rig ( amd ) or just swap hard drive and do repair? os is xp home. possible or what?

new rig: asus maximus q6600 2gig ballistix

thermaltake 850 ati 3870 80 gig hitachi

If you're swapping from the system in your rig I'd heavily recommend just doing a clean installation. That's a lot of hardware changing all at once.

That said, it probably can be done. I wouldn't know the right method but you'd have to uninstall any drivers first, and then enable multiple cores by loading the correct CPU drivers.

Much, much easier to just do a clean install though, in my opinion.

I do this about 25% of the time.

Gather up the latest drivers for all your new hardware and unzip them (if applicable) to a temp folder that is on your boot drive. Don't put them on removable storage. Especially the Intel INF Chipset Installer:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14529/a08/infinst_autol.zip

Grab the latest BIOS for the new board, while you're at it, and prepare a boot disk or CD to update the BIOS.

Uninstall drivers for audio, LAN, and other non-essential devices, then disable them in BIOS or remove them so that Windows doesn't try to reinstall drivers at next boot. Uninstall display drivers, restart and press F8 to invoke the boot menu, select "VGA Mode" from the startup options. If Windows prompts to install a driver for the display device, click cancel to the Driver Wizard thingy. Uninstall the platform/chipset drivers if available through Add/Remove Programs. If not, don't worry about it.

In Device Manager, expand the System Devices category and locate "PCI Bus". Right-click once and select Uninstall. If prompted to confirm uninstall, click Yes or OK. Windows will act like its choking on it, but eventually it should complete the removal and prompt you to restart. Click Yes or OK to restart.

When the PC shuts down, before it starts up again, hit the PSU switch to cut the power. Change out all your hardware, check your connections and all that. Power on and update the BIOS using your update disk. Restart when the update completes (successfully we hope), enter BIOS Setup and tailor your BIOS settings to taste, but don't enable onboard peripherals such as audio and LAN just yet (keep disabled). Probably be a good idea to enable legacy USB keyboard support, but it shouldn't be necessary. Save and Exit BIOS.

[Here you can boot a Memtest86+ CD if you want, to test your CPU and RAM before proceeding any further, which I highly recommend. I like to see three or four passes of Memtest86+ without errors before moving on to the next phase]

Now boot into Safe Mode (press F8 after POST screen) and wait a couple minutes. Unless you are using a PS/2 mouse or keyboard, you won't be able to use your USB peripherals at first. Don't worry, Windows will install the USB drivers, but it takes a couple minutes (sometimes like three or four). By the time your mouse and/or keyboard come back to life, or shortly thereafter, you will probably get a prompt to restart the computer due to newly installed devices. Click no to restart, yes to proceed in Safe Mode, and cancel to any additional driver installation prompts. After Windows seems to have found all devices (no further prompts), then restart.

Now boot Windows normally, but cancel out of any driver prompts. If Windows automatically installs drivers without your intervention, that's OK (most of the time). Click Start > Run, then enter the following command line using the path where you extracted the Intel Chipset INF Installer files:

C:tempinfinst_autolsetup.exe -overall

That is the example path, replace with whatever the real path is to Setup.exe. Don't forget the -overall switch at the end. Click next or proceed to install the Intel INF files. This might take a minute or two. When finished, restart and boot Windows normally again. Now install your graphics card drivers, enable onboard peripherals in BIOS, install those drivers, so on and so forth. Presto chango.

This works for me at least 80% of the time that I use it. It sounds like a long complicated thing but it only takes about 30 minutes if you have a good handle on what to do (plus the actual hardware swap and Memtest86+), which is a helluva lot better than 3+ hours of installing Windows, 200 updates and patches from Microsoft, all your applications and their updates, et. al. Back up your stuff in case something goes to hell.

Oh and somewhere during all that, you will be prompted to re-activate Windows. You might as well wait (activate later) until all your hardware is installed. If you activate when first prompted, you still have several hardware changes yet to complete, which will probably trigger activation again. WGA gives you three days to re-activate, just wait until everything is done.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

did they give u any problems? i remember i had to call them for the first time ever about a vista oem for a customer, surprisingly, it all went smoothly..what about u?

Guest InFeKtioN
did they give u any problems? i remember i had to call them for the first time ever about a vista oem for a customer, surprisingly, it all went smoothly..what about u?

Ya know ..... I must say that !

I have several copies of Win Xp Pro and the one Retail Ver. that I use on my Rig, the one that I have installed on every one of my upgrades/new builds (only installed on PC @ a time tho) and after like the third time .... I have to call MS every time now. About 10 times now .... lol

Anyway ..... my point is

I have, not one time been given any trouble !!! I just explain to them what I am doing and all they really seem to care about is that its only installed on one PC @ a time !