Legal and Ethical?

defiant9

Is it legal and ethical to install a retail upgrade version of Microsoft Windows onto an OEM install? In other words I own an OEM XP, can I install it on a different PC, then re-install the XP upgrade version for registration?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it legal and ethical to install a retail upgrade version of Microsoft Windows onto an OEM install? In other words I own an OEM XP, can I install it on a different PC, then re-install the XP upgrade version for registration?

You cannot legally install XP on more than one rig and the OEM must stay on the rig it was originally installed according to MS's EULA

Now if you are asking can you use a OEM copy to qualify installing a Retail Upgrade copy then yes...BUT

Insert the Retail Upgrade copy and boot from it and proceed to do a fresh install...when it ask for a Qualifying disk insert the OEM copy and them switch it back before it loads from the CD...

You Cannot legally install the OEM copy and then upgrade to a retail upgrade later on...isnt going to be a smart move...;)

Now if you are asking can you use a OEM copy to qualify installing a Retail Upgrade copy then yes...BUT

Thank you. That is the answer, I wanted. Finally, Microsoft did something that isn't completely Machiavellian. :rolleyes: I can save a few $$$.

Linux just isn't ready for prime time. (need XP on the 2nd PC that I am giving to my nephew) Ubuntu version of Linux is an excellent, fun and exciting new toy, but the emulation Wine software for Windows just will not perform well enough for new game releases.

I have 4 copies of xp that are oem and not a one of them is on the machine it was originally bought for. I have had to call microsoft in the past sfter a few reformats and they have never givin me a problem. If you have a retail version of xp upgrade why not just hit sleezebay and buy a 98se disk? You don't have to actually install it, just have a valid key.

Thank you. That is the answer, I wanted. Finally, Microsoft did something that isn't completely Machiavellian. :rolleyes: I can save a few $$$.

Err...if that was the answer you wanted, then you asked a piss-poor question. You specifically asked whether it was "legal and ethical", not whether it could be done in the functional sense.

The answer to the first part is an unequivocal no, it is not legal. The answer to the second part is, I can't tell you what your ethics are. Your ethics are for you to decide.

I will do what is ethical, if I know what is right. Unethical actions are the result of ignorance. I am not a truly wise and therefore I did not know what was right. Dr. bowtie gave sound advise before, and therefore I trust him; his computer knowledge is greater than my own ignorance. The guy at Best Buy told me that it could be done in the functional sense. I posted to discover what was right. I interpreted Dr. Bowtie’s post as the OEM was a Qualifying disk. Whatever, what do I know? I own a copy of ME too. I own a separate copy of XP for my gateway laptop. It seemed consistent that I was a licensed owner of a Microsoft product. Maybe I should hire a lawyer before I install an operating system.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

well MS's EULA is huge, we pretty much do need lawyers when we want to upgrade our oem's or whatever lol

but yes, u can upgrade to oem, if it was an hp or a dell, u could call them and ask for an upgrade disc, even more simple

I interpreted Dr. Bowtie’s post as the OEM was a Qualifying disk.

He was telling you the same thing everyone else has. Will it work, yes. Will your license be legit, no.

"You cannot legally install XP on more than one rig and the OEM must stay on the rig it was originally installed according to MS's EULA...You Cannot legally install the OEM copy and then upgrade to a retail upgrade later on..."

He was telling you the same thing everyone else has. Will it work, yes. Will your license be legit, no.

"You cannot legally install XP on more than one rig and the OEM must stay on the rig it was originally installed according to MS's EULA...You Cannot legally install the OEM copy and then upgrade to a retail upgrade later on..."

you're missing the point....

As I read it to be...he wanted to know if he could use the OEM disk to "Qualify" the fresh install of a retail upgrade and be valid...short answer is yes...

you will fresh install the retail-upgrade copy and use that key....and it will install, avtivate and validate.....

you only use the OEM disk to qualify the retail upgrade install....

NOT install the OEM or Upgrade the OEM to the Retail-Upgrade copy...

use the OEM disk to Qualify ONLY....

I will do what is ethical, if I know what is right. Unethical actions are the result of ignorance. I am not a truly wise and therefore I did not know what was right. Dr. bowtie gave sound advise before, and therefore I trust him; his computer knowledge is greater than my own ignorance. The guy at Best Buy told me that it could be done in the functional sense. I posted to discover what was right. I interpreted Dr. Bowtie’s post as the OEM was a Qualifying disk. Whatever, what do I know? I own a copy of ME too. I own a separate copy of XP for my gateway laptop. It seemed consistent that I was a licensed owner of a Microsoft product. Maybe I should hire a lawyer before I install an operating system.

This is correct....

when using a Retail Upgrade disk of XP Home or Pro in any flavor of XP there is a way to fresh install it with out the upgrade part of messing up stuff...

you use the disk to do fresh install as you would any other disk....except during loading of the files it will ask for a previous version of windows disk....IT DOES NOT matter what disk you give it...95, 98, ME, 2000 or XP it just checks for a legit disk....

I ALWAYS use my slipstreamed OEM disk for ALL OEM installs and supply the Customers OEM key...so I dont have to open their CD....

I will OPK batch PC with the same OEM slipstreamed disk when I need to Install multiple OS's at one time....

I also aways use my OEM disk when redoing a Dell or HP or any prebuilt if the customer doesnt want the bloatware with the OS...the prebuilt key will always work with a OEM disk as its a OEM copy anyways...they always activate and validate...

I am MS registered and trained in the refurb department to qualify rigs to "like-new" status...;)

EDIT: if you choose to install a OEM copy and convert to a retail key you MUST use the MS key changer to validate the copy...

Example.... you have a OEM copy that is married to another rig but you just built another rig and wont get a XP copy till next week so you decide to play with the new rig and install the OEM copy of XP to the rig...it will install and in some cases it will activate no issues especially if you havent changed any hardware in the 6 months grace time period....

the OS will update using windows update but will fail validation...once you get the prompt for failed validation you will be linked to the MS key changer if you select to change to a legit key.... the MS key changer is the only key changer I know that will let you change keys from a OEM to Retail and vice versus...the Key changer was built for this purpose....

I have had to use it more times then not when a Customer brings me a rig with a pirated copy of XP and its locked at the log on screen with a "Not Genuine" sign showing...

you're missing the point....

As I read it to be...he wanted to know if he could use the OEM disk to "Qualify" the fresh install of a retail upgrade and be valid...short answer is yes...

No, he wanted to know whether it would result in a legit license, specifically defining the scope of his question within the bounds of what is "legal and ethical". That's a legit thing, not a "Ha, it worked!" thing.