Switch?

Can someone pls move this to the Networking Forum - Thanks

Have just ordered the evaluation DVD for Windows Home Server and plan to use an older desktop to try out the O/S as I really need to bring some order to my home network. I will wait until they sort out the corruption bug (June?) before thniking about buying the software.

However the problem is this - with all my current wired desktop PCs and the VOIP phone I have no free ethernet ports left on the back of the Netgear WGT624 router.

So can I simply buy (say) a five port switch, connect it to the back to router once I dicsonnect one of the PCs and then run that PC and the "server" and anything else that needs a network connection from the available ports on the switch which is connected to the freed up port on the back of the router.

Do the switches come with a connection cable to the router or do you need to buy that separately?

Will the router manage all the connections re IP addresses etc.?

Regards

Yes, a switch will expand the number of ports available for wire ethernet and the DHCP, IP addresses, etc is still handled by the router. Most switches these days come with a 3ft or 6ft patch cable.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Port50Side,

I don't know what type of set-up you have or are going to use, but if I were you, I'd consider connecting the server directly to the router. This would eliminate broadcast issues due to server access. Also, depending on the switch you get, (managed/unmanaged) you could have more set-up options available.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

if it is a server he is connecting, i too would connect directly to the router, one less device the server data would have to pass through

Dear Port50Side,

I don't know what type of set-up you have or are going to use, but if I were you, I'd consider connecting the server directly to the router. This would eliminate broadcast issues due to server access. Also, depending on the switch you get, (managed/unmanaged) you could have more set-up options available.

If this were a corporate network then I'd agree but with it just being a home network he's not going to have any issues with broadcast traffic either way.

Well, if he is going to use the server for public up/down load purposes (with high traffic), and he is going to access it itself from the intenal network and having multiple hosts that might be used heavily on the internet..... well. :sweat: it's not a bad idea anyways :P