Sign in to follow this  
red930

Ah crap, the Danner is doing something [lots of pics]

Alright, I'll give it a shot sometime later this week. Hopefully the sun comes back out someday...:(

Hopefully the sun comes back out someday...:(

Yeah, good luck with that ^^^ :rolleyes: I'm so f'ing sick of winter :mad:

Yeah, good luck with that ^^^ :rolleyes: I'm so f'ing sick of winter :mad:

I don't really mind it that much, last week was nice though. I've been trying to run and the colder air is kinda nice on the lungs, gets those pansies into shape.

Funny as hell, but a little over the line.. Hell you are so far over the line the line is a dot to you...

You can also right-click the My Documents and select properties; then click the move button an select where you want them to be stored, this will update all the links and move the files and sub-directories currently in the My Documents.

Missed this post, but yeah that is actually what I told him to do, except for I left out the right click and move part.. I thought Dan was smart enough to figure that one out ;)

Missed this post, but yeah that is actually what I told him to do, except for I left out the right click and move part.. I thought Dan was smart enough to figure that one out ;)

Dan smrt?

I might record what exactly I did, I tried searching for a decent guide showing what can be shut off or removed without any consequences but all I could find was one for the EEE PC. Which of course shut off pretty much everything and might not have included everything I'd need.

Once I get the overclock sorted I might mess around with it and see what all I can do. Installation on this thing is awfully quick so I can try a few out with no real issues. Just gotta dig out an RW disc.

All I know is there are a lot of things on there that are completely unnecessary. Like, a LOT of things.

Hey that would be helpful because I spent a couple days using VMware and it allways got hosed and I couldn't figure out what was doing it. I ended up keeping most of the original then adding drivers, SP3, WMP11, netframework(all), and some themes.

Funny as hell, but a little over the line.. Hell you are so far over the line the line is a dot to you...

Ahhh I knew you will say it! At least I gave it a go for a minute!

I wish I could ban mods.

*sigh*

Anyhoo, I'm gonna just list off the stuff I delete from my Windows Install here, probably will come back and touch it up a bit later. Actually that's a lie, there's probably a 25% chance that'll happen.

Note prior to this I slipstreamed SP2, all hotfixes I could find (including .net) as well as the chipset drivers and video display drivers. If you do not slipstream your drivers, some of this stuff should probably stay on the disc.

Again, these are selected for removal.

Components:

Applications:

Accessibility Options

Briefcase

Clipbook Viewer

Games

Internet Games

NT Backup

Pinball

Screensavers

Wordpad

NT Backup apparently will affect the Windows automated recovery and backup thingy. I shut that off all the time anyways, so frankly I don't give a damn. Notepad stays so I see no reason to keep Wordpad.

Drivers:

Display adapters [10MB]

Display adapters (old)

Ethernet (LAN)

IBM PS/2 Trackpoint

IBM Thinkpad

Logitech Wingman

Microsoft Sidewinder

Modems [10MB]

Printers [33.74MB!]

Scanners [7.22MB]

SCSI/RAID

Serial Pen Tablet

Sony Jog Dial

Sound Controllers

Tape Drives

Toshiba DVD decoder card

Hardware Support:

Battery

Bluetooth Support

Brother Devices

Floppy Support

Gravis Digital Gamepad

Infrared

Iomega Zip Drive

Joystick Support

Modem Support

Printer Support

Ramdisk

Sony Memory Stick

There are a lot of other ones you don't need here, however I'm not going to delete what might be used in the future or what I'm not sure about. Just not worth the hassle.

Keyboards:

All of them, unless you use a nonstandard one - i.e. QWERTY.

Languages:

All of them, from what I understand the default language for your disk should not even show up in this list. If you switch languages at some point you might want to hold onto those you may use in the future.

Multimedia:

Media Center

MIDI audio support

Mouse Cursors

Music Samples

Old CD Player and Sound Recorder [like Windows 3.1 old]

Speech Support

Tablet PC

Windows Sounds

I don't care for the default Windows sounds, sometimes it's nice to have something but certainly isn't necessary. You can delete Windows Media Player here too, I don't use it but some streaming videos online require it so I'll keep it.

Network:

Communication Tools

Control Test Terminal Program

MSN Explorer [18.8MB]

Netmeeting

Peer-to-peer

Windows Messenger

Again, a bunch of other things probably aren't needed here. Whatever.

Operating System Options:

Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Disk Cleanup

File and Settings Wizard

Help and Support [23MB]

Manual Install and Upgrade* [44MB!]

Search ASSistant [xxxx you search dog!]

Tour [17.46MB!]

*Manual Install and Upgrade basically just gives you the ability to upgrade an existing Windows installation to this version. If you install directly from a CD this isn't needed. What a waste of space.

Services:

Beep Driver

Error Reporting

Fax Service

Indexing Service

Messenger

Remote Registry

Secondary Logon

System Restore Service

Telnet

Uninterruptible Power Supply

I chose only the ones I know I won't need, as I assume once the service is removed it'd be difficult to get back. You can always just disable them anyways, but it's a few less things to have installed in the background.

Directories:

All of them.

From my understanding nlite will only remove the parts from these directories that aren't needed, based on your previous choices.

Options:

Patches tab:

Maximum unfinished simultaneous connections - This deals with half-open TCP/IP ports that you've probably dealt with if you've ever used torrents in the past. Changing it to 50 or so is probably recommended if you ever intend to use a torrent program in the future. I set mine to 250, simply because I don't like having to deal with this crap.

Unsigned Themes Support - Always wanted to try some of those Deviant Art themes, so I went ahead and enabled this. If I don't use it I don't use it, no big deal.

SFC (Windows File Protection) - From my understanding there is no reason to leave this enabled. If anyone has a good explanation either way, feel free. Otherwise, I disable it.

Tweaks:

I didn't do anything under this. Too much work here when I already know where to go within Windows to do the same thing. Probably faster to do it in Windows, for that matter.

So yeah, that's what I'm leaving it at for the moment, turns out it dropped the CD size 348.3MB doing this.

I'll have you know I did a test run by selecting EVERYTHING in the components sections and it installed on this computer just fine, but of course is missing some functionality.

I wish I could ban mods.

*sigh*

What do you want me to put the pic back up? :confused:

That list seems pretty safe, I leave secondary logon and telnet enabled, but most of the other stuff I also get rid off.