Ah crap, the Danner is doing something [lots of pics]

I remember you saying that but couldn't you glue some extra acrylic to the bottom to act as legs to help support it? After all, you use stand-offs for the MB, why not the fan controller?

Of course, the only problem with that is that if the DVD drawer is open you won't be able to access the fan controls as easily ...

Well, I kinda wanted the PCD and sinks visible so it has to go on top.

I got it all together today (thanks for the part dr_bowtie!) and am now getting my Windows XP disc set up the way I want it with nlite. I've never done much more than slipstream drivers onto it before now, but I decided it was time to remove some bloat. So first I slipstreamed all hotfixes I could find (since I will not ever update again - this does not include SP3 but does include .NET framework) and all the drivers for the board. This ended up making a disc roughly 664.81MB in size. I installed that first to ensure all the hotfixes seem to work okay, and they did.

After that, I went insane in nlite shutting off all kinds of stuff and deleting others. Anyways, the CD is now only 230.67MB in size. Pretty fair reduction, though there were many more things I could shut off/delete. Internet Explorer is still included and some other stuff I think I need rely on it, but media player is gone. Hope it install okay and everything works. If it does I might delve a bit more deeply into nlite and see just what else I can remove.:)

Oh yeah, if anyone knows anything about nlite, speak up!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might wanna try that slipstreamed disc on VMware or a RW disc first, I find that so much stuff is inter-dependant in XP that I usually end up making it worse the more I mess with it, especially the more advanced options.

You might wanna try that slipstreamed disc on VMware or a RW disc first, I find that so much stuff is inter-dependant in XP that I usually end up making it worse the more I mess with it, especially the more advanced options.

Well it seemed to install okay except the video drivers didn't work correctly. I loaded those off of a USB stick and everything seems fine now though. In any case, I'm just overclocking it again at the moment, if need be I can always reinstall it.

I'm considering just putting the full disc on there because I'm paranoid I'm gonna run into something a few months down the road and wonder why the hell it isn't working.

Yep, that's why I said that, because that's exactly what happened to me. I had some issues with some network stuff, can be a classy lady to figure out.

Plus once the drivers are outdated, so is your disc. I stick with he basic tweaks; unsigned themes, unattended install, maybe a few tweaks in explorer nothing crazy.

Yep, that's why I said that, because that's exactly what happened to me. I had some issues with some network stuff, can be a classy lady to figure out.

Plus once the drivers are outdated, so is your disc. I stick with he basic tweaks; unsigned themes, unattended install, maybe a few tweaks in explorer nothing crazy.

Fortunately I don't think the drivers for the nf590 will ever be outdated.

Any more than they are now anyways. :)

In any case I'm trying to figure out how ig to make my windows partition, I'm thinking of just making it 5 gigs, maybe less if it'll allow it. Any thoughts?

I don't do less than 10, and usually that ends up not being enough with time, but 15-20 should be fine.

Well I intend to install everything on a separate partition, I'm just a little worried about those apps that demand to be on the c: drive and the ones that don't even tell you they're gonna use it. My current one is 8 gigs, which gives me over 7 available after I moved the pagefile to a different partition. I might stick with that, not sure yet. The smaller it is though, the more liekly I'll actually run a defrag on it every week or so.

ROFL

Well they are...not that they need updating by any means. :)

Okay, remember when I said airflow in this case is above awful but somewhat below crappy? I was wrong, it's WAY below crappy, and somewhat below awful.

Can I cut a hole in acrylic using a hole saw? It'd be for a 120mm fan. I'm hesitant to try but I really feel I need to put something over the cpu fan, it's pretty much worthless when silent (f'ing 38C idle on a Sempron with no volts) and not much better when loud (drops to 34C).

Update on overclocking. Despite the problems with airflow I'm still trying to get this thing stable at 350x8 or higher. I'm going to have to agre with bowtie, it's has something to do with the secondaries now. I can run 3dmark01 all day but it'll die instantly on freaking SuperPi 1M. OCCT clearly has no chance. I didn't try running OCCT with just small fft's, but I'm not entirely certain that would matter on a processor that only has 128k lvl 2 cache.

This is only preliminary from last night right before I went to bed, I'll spend that day with her and see how it goes.

FYI, it was really, really cool to watch this thing boot up for the first time. I saw the Windows logo come up, then it was done. No blue bar at all. Now it gets halfway across before it's done. :(

I make 2 partitions, one for the system and one for my documents. I don't like making too many partitions, each one gets about 10% slower as you're getting closer to the center of the disk and keeping data close to each other makes the head travel less for better access time and less wear an tear.

I can only think of a handful of apps that have to be on C:, but when it does happen it sucks. I think Paint Shop was one of those apps.

I make 2 partitions, one for the system and one for my documents. I don't like making too many partitions, each one gets about 10% slower as you're getting closer to the center of the disk and keeping data close to each other makes the head travel less for better access time and less wear an tear.

I can only think of a handful of apps that have to be on C:, but when it does happen it sucks. I think Paint Shop was one of those apps.

Well I'll move "My Documents" over to my storage drive so i don't have to worry about them. By the way, is there any possible way to link "My Music", "My Pictures", and "My Movies" to their respective counterparts on my storage drive? I always wanted to do that but could never figure it out. It's real easy for My Document, I don't understand why they didn't do something similar for the others.

Good lord I'm gross, I'm gonna go shower.

Once you change your "My Documents" Folder, it should link to "My Music" and "My Pictures" inside the new "My Documents" folder (on the other drive/partition). Do you mean you keep them in a folder outside of "My Documents"?