Sign in to follow this  
red930

Ah crap, the Danner is doing something [lots of pics]

It's always going to look better than a bare drive. :)

Glad it's working for ya.

Take care of your back but we are looking for pics. :D

They're coming shortly, it feels really, really good to lean back for a while. I guess I need to take it easy in the gym for a few days or sumthin. I've been hittin it pretty hard of late so maybe I'll just stay in bed all day tomorrow. You know, for the sake of being healthy. :)

Take two glasses of tekillya and call me in the morning.

Doctor Carl

Take two glasses of tekillya and call me in the morning.

Doctor Carl

Lol, thanks buddy. You might be shocked to know I have stopped drinking for the moment. Apparently for my height (~5'10") my max weight to enter the Air Force as an officer is 186. I'm currently around 200 even. I don't think it's an issue because I'm built pretty well, though there is certainly room for improvement. I figured that I might as well take the time to put myself into the best possible shape I can before I head to Alabama at the end of June, so I'm dieting pretty hardcore and working out every day, sometimes twice a day. As such , I've eliminated alcohol from my diet (even tonight :eek2:) and try to keep my caloric intake between 1100 and 1300 with high protein and little fat & carbs. A popular meal for me is a can of tuna.

The hardest part of doing this is gearing myself up for eating a good large breakfast and only eating a little bit for lunch/dinner. It's working out pretty well except that everybody else seems to think it's okay to drink on weekends regardless of my diet. That's a . ton of empty calories, and worse yet - I KNOW I'd end up eating a whole pizza by the end of the night. I assume it's my lack of pizza that is making my back ache. :)

Anyways. Here's a bunch of pictures, not a whole lot of writing.

IMG_0220Resized.png

IMG_0223Resized.png

IMG_0224Resized.png

IMG_0225Resized.png

IMG_0227Resized.png

This one shows a test fit with the board in. Turns out I don't have much room between the SATA ports and the drives on that side. Just the beginning of my headache. I ended up adjusting the drives by moving them closer to the front, gaining me half an inch or so. I also ended up moving the top drive one slot up so I'd have room between the drives for cables if necessary. That may be shown later...I don't remember.

IMG_0232Resized.png

This shows a bar that is supposed to be suspended from the top of the case, this is where the fourth fan included with the case will hang from, it's prety much adjustable all the way across, but I figured it would work best where it affects both the chipset and the graphics card.

IMG_0233Resized.png

RAM fans, 2x 60mm suckers out of an older case. Powerful and quiet.

IMG_0234Resized.png

...wire tied them together and wrapped the cables with some black tape.

IMG_0235Resized.png

Test mount...

IMG_0236Resized.png

You know that fourth fan? Well it wouldn't fit there when a graphics card is installed. So I wire tied it to the chipset fan instead. I put it on that side (sucking air through instead of blowing it through) so that the lights affect the UV slots on the board more.

IMG_0237Resized.png

IMG_0238Resized.png

Another test fit with everything...

IMG_0239Resized.png

Oh, except for these beauties. Enter Headache: Part II. *sigh*

IMG_0240Resized.png

IMG_0241Resized.png

IMG_0244Resized.png

IMG_0245Resized.png

And that's pretty much where I'm at now. I need to do something else with the 24-pin plug so it won't interfere with the DVD burner. I'm not a fan of moving right now though so I'm leaving it as is until I install the board.

OMG that looks great man!

Really coming together. top notch sheet.

love the 2x60s. go great with the orange RAM slots.

Like it. The DVD looks better with HDDs in.

Do you have enough CF film to do just the DVD drawer door?

May be a nice touch.

The DVD drive looks SWEEEEEEETTT

but I'd recommend some heatshrink and wiresleeving for the RAM fans

i like seriously.. and totally second that.. ^_^ great job man =)

OMG that looks great man!

Really coming together. top notch sheet.

love the 2x60s. go great with the orange RAM slots.

Like it. The DVD looks better with HDDs in.

Do you have enough CF film to do just the DVD drawer door?

May be a nice touch.

Thanks buddy!

Yeah the drive looked out of place until the addition of the drives and the power supply. Glad it looks better now.

No more CF film, I was pretty sloppy in it's application when putting it on since I'd never done it before. I did consider using the silver stuff on the front though as it might match the knobs. I'll look into it tomorrow sometime.

I really like those little fans, probably the only worthwhile thing I got out of that case. Using just one of them when clocking earlier kept the RAM cool even at 2.37 volts, and I think having the power supply there to vent the warmer air off the sticks may help out as well. The Redlines apparently have a gigantic tendency to die (and it's not just me) but since I'm dumb I just might have to let them run 24/7 at 2.4+ anyhow. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm definitely doing something similar on any other drive in the future. Very easy to do and looks a thousand times better.

If I had some sleeving I probably would have used it, however I do think the solid black goes well in the dark corner it's located in so it shouldn't be a big deal. :angel:

i like seriously.. and totally second that.. ^_^ great job man =)

Thanks! I'm definitely, definitely stocking up on some of that film for my next build. :)

Thanks! I'm definitely, definitely stocking up on some of that film for my next build. :)

Yeah I ordered some from my friend's vinyl shop. He ordered me 5 yards lol..

... I need to do something else with the 24-pin plug so it won't interfere with the DVD burner. I'm not a fan of moving right now though so I'm leaving it as is until I install the board.

Perhaps if you switched the locations of the DVD burner and the fan controller?

Perhaps if you switched the locations of the DVD burner and the fan controller?

Yeah that'd be the most obvious way to do it. However, I want the fan controller to sit on top of it to take the strain off the acrylic face. You might no be able to tell from the pictures, but the only thing that keeps the controller in are a pair of plastic screws through the front of the case, there aren't any supports on the sides. Meaning basically the nuts behind the knobs are the only things holding the controller itself to the acrylic faceplate. Seems solid enough, but I slipped some extra foam underneath the controller to help support the weight.

... to take the strain off the acrylic face. ...

I remember you saying that but couldn't you glue some extra acrylic to the bottom to act as legs to help support it? After all, you use stand-offs for the MB, why not the fan controller?

Of course, the only problem with that is that if the DVD drawer is open you won't be able to access the fan controls as easily ...