Sign in to follow this  
red930

Ah crap, the Danner is doing something [lots of pics]

Figured I'd show this off since I worked on it a bit today. First off I'd like to thank t_ski for selling me this case here. Nothing is attached or anything, it's just a place to store stuff until later this week when I've got everything (hopefully). Went together pretty easily and seems sturdy enough.

IMG_0158Resized.png

You can read his review of this exact case here if you're interested.

Anyways, the case comes with 4 80mm fans that I'd like to put on a fan controller. I also have a pair of 60mm fans for my memory and I might possibly run one for my graphics card on there. Not sure on that one yet, we'll see what happens. In any case, I don't like using the headers on my motherboard if I can help it. The case actually provided nice Molex adapters for each of the fans, but I'd prefer to not use them since they're kinda bulky.

Now I already had a spare fan controller sitting around in a plastic bin, a silver Sunbeam 4-channel model that had been used pretty extensively in the past. I had torn out the LED's in it long ago since they were far too bright for my liking and I was too lazy to mod them so they were dimmer.

I didn't think I was going to like the look with the case since it wouldn't really match with anything. My DVD burner is black so mostly goes with anything, but the silver and stripes on the fan controller were hideous at best and didn't even look that great on a silver Lian-Li case, much less an acrylic one.

So I took it apart.

IMG_0155Resized.png

Now Sunbeam kindly included a pair of 5.25" acrylic bay covers should I decide to not use two devices. Unfortunately, they weren't really the bay covers I was hoping for in that they were flat and would not attach to the bay itself. I contacted Dragoe in hopes he might have some extra acrylic lying around I could make a real bay cover out of (it turned out he did, thanks for the offer I might still have to take you up on it!) but I decided to see what I could do with what I currently had first. I i figured the worst I could do would be bust both of them and end up either making my own or sucking it up and using the silver plate instead.

Here's what they looked like, one is covered with masking tape so I could write on it.

IMG_0157Resized.png

Before drilling the first time i noticed something.

IMG_0159Resized.png

The thickness of the acrylic wouldn't allow for any thread to be exposed, meaning I wouldn't be able to attach the fan controller to the acrylic. I'm fairly impressed I noticed this before drilling, less impressed that I assumed that I could easily compensate for it without the use of a drill press.

Anyways, I marked my holes.

IMG_0163Resized.png

Using a hand drill I managed to screw up both of them.

IMG_0165Resized.png

However, the second turned out well enough that it was usable. On the last hole (of course) I drilled a bit too deep and popped through the acrylic. The other three are very, very shallow and even then barely allowed the use of nuts and washers on them. In fact, I think only one could use a washer.

IMG_0166Resized.png

Well since I was buying some other stuff from FrozenCpu and I already own a UV reactive case and board I figured I should grab some UV lights as well. At the time I did not know that all four fans the case came with had UV lights on them.

IMG_0167Resized.png

IMG_0169Resized.png

IMG_0170Resized.png

I bought the drill bit at the exact same diameter as the knobs were. I wish I had the presence of mind to get one a bit smaller, just big enough the washers would work. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz. However, it still looks pretty solid as it is, and a million times better than the original front panel.

IMG_0172Resized.png

that said, I'm being awful careful with it. It will end up being put in the case as shown, on top of the DVD burner. I'm going to use some of the white foam to build up the back so the tension on the acrylic is minimized. I don't think it would break through normal use but who knows what will happen.

More to come when I get to it, I'm not really doing a whole lot of serious stuff to this case but it's pretty radical compared to any other case I've purchased in the past. The classy lady is keeping it clean.

By the way t_ski, could you even use the gloves provided? I mean, I have little girly hands and barely could use those suckers.

Edit: I forgot to mention only two of the lights work, the ones on channels 2 and 4, the others don't do squat no matter what I do. They're all in there pretty loose, so I might have to rig something up to get a better connection.

Subscribed! It's looking great so far, and I think the part about the holes being the same size as the knobs may actually work out well. It should make the edge of the hole glow a little more when the UV LED's are on.

Glad you're enjoying the case. My wife doesn't even like having one PC and two laptops so I could never do anything with it :(

I didn't use that pair of gloves, but I did use the ones with the Cube case I had a while back. I found about half-way through the assembly my hands were getting all sweaty and the acrylic started fogging up aound where I was holding it.

BTW, Rado is the plexi master around here. If you ever have any Q's about working with the stuff, I'm sure he'll be glad to share his knowledge ;)

Gonna be watching this one ;)

I'm not going to be able to get a whole lot else done until I get some other parts in. I'm waiting on a graphics card (7600GS for 20 bucks from ebay), and an HR-05 (from Elano here on the forum) for the northbridge. Also Carl is hooking me up with some stuff to cover up my DVD burner and Terry is sending me the little plastic support piece for my Karajan audio module since I apparently lost mine.

This normally would just mean I can install everything but the stuff I don't have, but the case is designed as such that it's somewhat of a pain to deal with hard drives and 5.25" drives.

As it is I'm doing what I can today because I'm anxious to get her up and running (of course).

One really great thing about this case is that it makes up for not having any room behind the motherboard tray by having much bigger standoffs. Sorry I couldn't zoom in any further, but you get the idea - they're like three times taller than normal ones!

IMG_0179Resized.png

This makes it mostly awesome for putting cables underneath, I'm pretty sure I should be able to jam most of my 24-pin cable under there too. I'm kind of weirded out that there are only 9 standoffs though. It's not a big deal or anything, though I am missing one that would really only be useful if I were running SLI with two big cards.

The spacing between hard drives seems very generous too, belying the fact you can get four in each cage. I would actually be fine putting 4 in each, whereas on my Lian-Li I would never attempt it (again) because they're so close together. The height of the fan in front of each seems to be very well suited for a pair of drives as well.

Anyways, here's the case empty. At this point I didn't really do anything to it other than cut off the cable for the front panel audio because I'll never use it and never plug it in anyways.

IMG_0173Resized.png

I considered lopping off the USB cords as well because they're two separate cables instead of one large cable, which upsets me. However, the usefulness of front panel USB ports outweighs that annoyance, so I left them. I was also somewhat disturbed to see the power and reset buttons look identical and aren't labeled. I might not plug in the reset button because of this, plus I'm not used to having one anyways because my V2000 didn't have one.

Well I said I was buying stuff from FrozenCPU earlier and pretty much the only thing I really wanted/needed from them were some fan filters. I'm tired of having dusty cases, and in a transparent one such as this I figured they'd be a good idea. I doubt they'll be perfect, but they'll help. The ones I got are UV reactive and the filters themselves are removable without taking the fan off. They also replaced the standard fan grills that came with the case, giving it a nicer look. Note that they are a much darker red in real life, that is until you shine lights on them. I assume the flash of the camera is the cause for the slight glow.

IMG_0174Resized.png

I originally had bought three filters and at this point at slapped myself for not realizing I only had two intakes. I knew the one on the back was an exhaust but I assumed (wrongly) that there was an intake on the top above the CPU socket. I had read the fourth fan is adjustable on a rail prior to this but apparently got confused with an older HTPC-style case I used for a time.

So I was pissed I blew extra money until I realized the filter itself is removable, making the frame at least usable.

IMG_0175Resized.png

The screws that came with the filters were barely long enough on the front to get the nut on, with the additional thickness of the fan grill they were too short. So I spent the next 15 minutes threading the nuts on the inside of the fan. Fun fun. (I'm not sure you can see what I mean here, if you can't, well...shove off :P)

IMG_0177Resized.png

And the whole case as it is right now. I was actually anal enough this time round to make sure all the screw heads were facing the same way. Because that . matters. Sometimes.

IMG_0178Resized.png

I'll probably put in the hard drive cages today and that'll pretty much be it until I get some other parts in. They have to go in before the 5.25" bay because they attach to the bottom of the case with screws through the top, making it difficult as is. I may end up taking off the side panels to do it right.

*sigh*

BTW, Rado is the plexi master around here. If you ever have any Q's about working with the stuff, I'm sure he'll be glad to share his knowledge ;)

Yeah he already PM'd me with some other options for that front panel. I'm simply too limited in tools to really do anything too fun/unique at this point. :)

I'd very, very much like to put an intake in the top of the case, right above the CPU. I'm pretty certain the hole saw I have could do it (same thing I used on the aluminum side panels on my Lian-Li) but I'm not certain I'm willing to risk it for what could be only a slight benefit.

We'll see later.

I'm still considering how all my wires will be routed and if I need some holes in the drive bays at all. I might just put some there to be safe so I don't have to tear the thing apart again.

Subscribed! It's looking great so far, and I think the part about the holes being the same size as the knobs may actually work out well. It should make the edge of the hole glow a little more when the UV LED's are on.

You may be right, but for some reason my LED's aren't working correctly. I got the other two to work, but they're both very dim compared to the others. Also, they actually appear to be purple/UV in color, whereas the other two seem almost blue. I'm gonna look at what I purchased and see if it matches up with what I got...I know I considered getting a UV & blue LED so maybe I ordered that and the voltage just isn't right to kick them on correctly.

For the record, I think it's retarded anybody actually makes and sells this case. How many people really want a UV reactive case for an HTPC? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Guest Blooz1

Dan -

I've been using one of those filters on one of my cases for about a year, and it's very easy to keep clean. I use either an old toothbrush or a soft artist-type brush, and I don't have to remove the filter at all to clean it.

Yer project is lookin' good so far!

lol.. this is gonna be one clean case.. if dan's doin it.. =P.. but if i tink about it.. having a UV HTPC is gonna be like.. someone having a bright butt cell phone on in a movie theather as big as computer while watching a movie lol.. :nod:

True, It'd be cool if the whole case was made of two-way mirror panel, or if they had a film like that. You could always just make the front like that too.

lol.. this is gonna be one clean case.. if dan's doin it.. =P.. but if i tink about it.. having a UV HTPC is gonna be like.. someone having a bright butt cell phone on in a movie theather as big as computer while watching a movie lol.. :nod:

We'll see what happens. :)

I really, really like what I'm seeing so far in terms of cable management. I haven't done any of that stuff yet, but just imagining where everything goes makes it look clean. In my head at least....

Fortunately I'm not using it as an HTPC, it'll just be my personal computer. I considered buying feet so I could stand it up on its side but I don't think the case is really designed for that sort of stress. Pretty much the only reason I got it was because I got a deal on it and it was different. I probably could have gotten a "normal" steel case for close to the same price (minus shipping), hell somebody even linked the Antec 900 for only like 60 bucks after rebates. But it's different so I figured I'd give it a shot. Plus I'm working on something else that kinda require an HTPC case to demonstrate...

Anyhoo, if it's too bright I'll probably disconnect the LED's on the fans. I can see this happening awfully quickly. I really, really like the look right now, I don't need it to glow to look good. In fact, I should probably bust the LED's out now before it becomes a major hassle to do. I'll hold off though, because I like making things harder than they have to be. :rolleyes:

Before drilling the first time i noticed something.

IMG_0159Resized.png

The thickness of the acrylic wouldn't allow for any thread to be exposed, meaning I wouldn't be able to attach the fan controller to the acrylic.

I know it's probably too late now but I would have scored a slot on the back of the plate that would be wide enough for the circuit board to fit in to a depth of about half the width of the plate. Then you wouldn't have had to counter sink the holes to accept the washers and nuts or could have made them shallower.

Also, when drilling the holes, I would have clamped the plate to the wood so it wouldn't move from the rotational torque of the drill. A depth gage would have kept the holes from being too deep.

I've heard that hind sight is 20-20 ... :rolleyes:

I know it's probably too late now but I would have scored a slot on the back of the plate that would be wide enough for the circuit board to fit in to a depth of about half the width of the plate. Then you wouldn't have had to counter sink the holes to accept the washers and nuts or could have made them shallower.

Also, when drilling the holes, I would have clamped the plate to the wood so it wouldn't move from the rotational torque of the drill. A depth gage would have kept the holes from being too deep.

I've heard that hind sight is 20-20 ... :rolleyes:

I thought about that as well, and also considered shaving the PCB down because there was nothing there but empty board. However, I couldn't figure out how to score the acrylic (again, lack of tool) and couldn't really figure out how to evenly cut the PCB - that stuff is pretty tough.

I've been chatting with Radodrill as he offered to make me a new one using the right tools, however I'm kind of leery about using a standard transparent acrylic since the rest is UV Blue.