Sign in to follow this  
Hellssephiroth

dual 3870 or 1 3870 X2?

But overclocking is not completely worthless. And dual cores don;t always work out how some would like to think. Many games don't scale so well at all.

games dont for sure, but you forgot to read the part of the sentence that states games rarely care about cpu speed now, as everything is offloaded to the gpu when it comes to rendering...

as for Crysis and cpu task manager usage etc, I pay no attention to that because overclocking your cpu will make zero difference as to how much cpu is being used.

as for bottlenecks, all games are different. If you test your theory out on more than a single game (going by your statement), you'll see a variety of differences. One game might score lower @ higher clocks while another game scores higher at higher clocks, vice-versa, etc etc.

Yea. Well it worked out pretty well for me in the end.

I loved my old 7950GT, I even enjoyed playing Crysis on it. Almost no slow-downs, jsut with big explosions.

This brings me to another point: FPS charts on review sites. WTF?

Do these guys even know what they're doing? I go on some random review site and it says that a 7950GT could only get max frames of around 10 FPS in Crysis...umm when I measured it with FRAPS (6 times, lowest score taken twice, average of 7) I got around 7 for min, 26 for avg, and 46 for max.

That's why I don't go by reviews for performance anymore.

Yea. Well it worked out pretty well for me in the end.

I loved my old 7950GT, I even enjoyed playing Crysis on it. Almost no slow-downs, jsut with big explosions.

This brings me to another point: FPS charts on review sites. WTF?

Do these guys even know what they're doing? I go on some random review site and it says that a 7950GT could only get max frames of around 10 FPS in Crysis...umm when I measured it with FRAPS (6 times, lowest score taken twice, average of 7) I got around 7 for min, 26 for avg, and 46 for max.

That's why I don't go by reviews for performance anymore.

benchmark graphs on review sites are only good if you are comparing a similar machine playing the exact same game in exact same resolution with exact same graphics options.

my ideas for reviews of video cards etc isn't to have these graphs and charts at all but simply to explain which game, which resolution/settings, which sections/missions I played, for how long, and then a framerate total for each section/mission followed by an overall total/average.

I'm more interested in knowing that an X2 3800+ w/2GB RAM and an 8800GT 512MB will give me 60fps averages in games that I like to play in the resolutions/options that I play with (1280x1024 with 2x/4xAA, 16xAF, all options on high or max, or 1600x1200 without AA, AF medium or max, graphics options on mid-to-high, etc).

I've zero interest in hearing how an ATI 3850 256MB card gets trounced by an 8800GTX (or SLI) on a Quad-Core rig with 4GB RAM running Vista. I want to know if a card will do 60fps steady because I already know I can't spend more money than what the 3850 256MB card costs (ie no xxxxing way can I afford the high-end stuff and neither can anyone else except a select few)

resolution is 1680x1050 for whoever asked, and also dont worry about heat or overclocking if i want to later i will, everything that can be watercooled.... is absolutely watercooled, not to mention the peltier on my cpu. i also run 3 power supplies one 750 watt and 2 600's anything i do i like to overkill it. so im guessing that one x2 would be better and then just add later if i want?

well there's always the hope that the X2-quad drivers will mature so you can have a single 3870X2 right now, and down the road you can add a second one and get 4 gpu's running together...should you find a need for such a thing.

So for 1680x1050 I'd go ahead and recommend a 3870X2 right now since you already have lots of nice high-end equip and the cooling and power to run it properly.