Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chemojay_merged

External SATA question

Guest Chemojay

I have a WD 500gig 7200rpm 16mb SATA2 internal 3.5 drive in a syba E-SATA and USB external enclosure.(this enclosure utilizies both USB2.0 and E-SATA) What my problem is that when get into windows and plug the sata cable in windows will not recogonize it. power it on and off. unlpug plug back in. the only way I can get it to recogonize the HD is to plug in the usb cable and then unplug the usb cable. Then I plug the SATA cable back in and windows recogonizes it just like it should the first time I plug the ESATA cable in.

The work around I have found is to use the USB cable like a jumper. then when I plug the SATA back in it works like normal. It would be cool to figure out what is off so it will load like a plug and play should. Without all the jumpstarting.

does PM2 hd jumper settings have anything to do with this?

Thanks

power it on and off - is that the external caddy or the PC? AFAIK all 3.5 drives need an externa; power supply.

Guest Chemojay

Yes it is an external and it does have an external power supply also. Thanks for the reply.

Are you trying to use the USB and SATA simultaneously? You should be using either or; but not both at the same time.

Hello,

Does the manual say anything about the E-sata operation?

I have seen someone else post a simlar problem before, never did find a solution.

Set your hard drive to SATA150 and see what happens.

Check in your bios, there may be a setting for your e-sata connection to function, I am using one and I had to enable the jmicron e-sata controller for mine to be plug and play.

Good luck.

Guest Chemojay
Are you trying to use the USB and SATA simultaneously? You should be using either or; but not both at the same time.

no not at all.

I have to plug in the usb. let windows find it. unplug the usb cable. plug in the sata and it will load up.

if I start the cpu and just plug in the sata cable it windows will not load it. its almost like I am having to jump start the hard drive with the usb.

I will try the sata150 setting Sharp.

Kingfisher, I will also look in the bios for any setting possibly.

thanks for the ideas ill let you know if anything makes a difference.