WinRAR Errors, corruption becoming commonplace

MACarter02

here's question I might have missed being asked: do the rar riles corrupt on a different rig? Corruption of archives like rar/zip rarely have anything to with hard drives (in fact I've never heard of such a thing myself as if you have a bad hdd, you'll know about it before you unzip/unrar anything).

Archive programs like this are very cpu & memory intensive. More so than almost any other types of programs. The issue usually boils down to two problems:

1. corrupt archives - nothing you can really do about this...if the archive is corrupt before you un-archive it, it's going to be corrupt no matter what lol

2. RAM/CPU failings - have you tested your cpu/RAM lately with Orthos or Memtest etc to verify both are still working correctly? A single error in your memory or cpu cache/registers can nullify an entire archive upon unzipping. I've seen rar/zip fail a LOT in my years and 99% of the time it is a problem within your system (mobo chipset/cpu/ram, mostly cpu/ram stability).

Since you've taken it down to stock speed, that eliminates an unstable overclock, but doesn't eliminate the hardware itself.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

if the files came with an .sfv file, use quickpar to make sure all the MD5's are ok, if one is off, archive is bad

if the files came with an .sfv file, use quickpar to make sure all the MD5's are ok, if one is off, archive is bad

if the problem is within hardware, doing checksums will make zero difference...the checksums will return improperly (error) or they'll return as no problem but once the archive is being unzipped etc you'll begin to see errors (MD5 checksums are not infallible is what I'm saying, especially when you have hardware issues...if you have zero hardware issues then MD5 checksums almost always check out properly on a non-corrupt archive)

Guest SuppA-SnipA

but he is checking against multiple files IF he got an .sfv file to run with quickpar, not one big file, and quick par will point out which is the bad file, if all of them get a green checkmark (pass ), and he still cant extract them, then maybe it his hardware

Yeah sometimes QuickPAR will rebuild the file if its corrupted. I have had bad RAR's that haven't extracted right and the PAR files sorted it right out. totally forget about that one, good call Suppa

here again the problem can't be solved with this method if he has faulty hardware...as no matter how sure the program is at being able to check and correct, if the hardware errors out at any bit or execution, it creates errors all through the process, which negates checking software with software ;)

Not saying it IS hardware as I don't have a clue until he does some stability/stress testing, but I AM saying he needs to go looking at the hardware first to rule it out because the hardware is the base level, and if there's a hardware problem, no amount of software checking will resolve this situation.