Sign in to follow this  
MACarter02

WinRAR Errors, corruption becoming commonplace

I'm getting an increasing amount of errors in split archives.

I get "CRC failed. Volume is corrupt" most of the time.

For example, I may copy the entire archive to my harddrive, try to extract it, and get five errors. Then I recopy the files and get 2 errors only.

Is this sort of lack of data integrity common? I've never seen this happen before, but it's getting increasingly prevalent for me.

I'd check your HDD's and if you're system is Oc'ed try it on stock. Any chance you can try the RAR's on another PC?

Been running WinRAR since god knows when and I have never seen that problem. I am with Suedenim on this and try them on another PC and see what happens

Never had that either dude, have you tried other apps like 7zip or winzip do they give the same errors?

I've had those errors before but it was due to a corrupt archive and it always errored out in the same place. The randomness of MAC's errors strongly suggests its not application/data but no harm in ruling it out anyway.

I'd check your HDD's and if you're system is Oc'ed try it on stock. Any chance you can try the RAR's on another PC?

Have tried it on stock settings and overclocked. Same Issues. Have also tried on diff Hard Drives. For example, I may download the archive right to my local disk, and try to extract and get an error in .r23, and then I'll download to my media disk, and get an error in ---.r03. It's really odd, and has happened with several archives.

Never had that either dude, have you tried other apps like 7zip or winzip do they give the same errors?

7zip just halts the extract as soon as it encounters an error. I typically use 'test archive' in winRAR to find what pieces are broken.

This last thing I was downloading was a giant series of programs. One was a large solidworks assembly with accompanying images for a motor setup, with that there was a control program, and then a matlab toolbox for the setup analysis.

So basically, I downloaded the archive, ran the test on it, and got errors in files: 00,03,27, and 67. Then I re downloaded and replaced those files and only got an error in 27. After I re downloaded that piece AGAIN and replaced it AGAIN, it worked and extracted and all parts (as far as I can tell) are functional.

EDIT: Most of these are coming off of my schools UNIX servers. Is there any way that my connection is crappy and it's getting corrupted in transfer? I've been transferring files in this manner to and from these servers for three years, and just in the past month or so this KEEPS happening.

Its gotta be the source where the files are coming from, it could be your connection as you say but highly unlikely. Maybe the files are corrupted already on the server? I can't think what else it could be other than pending hard drive failure.