Please check signal cable (need help)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I brought my computer to a shop and the guy checked out my PSU on the spot. Checked the voltage and he said everything looks fine. Now I'm really not sure what the problem is. He said it'll take 3-4 days so I'll know then and let you guys know in case anyone was curious.

Well I brought my computer to a shop and the guy checked out my PSU on the spot. Checked the voltage and he said everything looks fine. Now I'm really not sure what the problem is. He said it'll take 3-4 days so I'll know then and let you guys know in case anyone was curious.

How did he check it? Did you watch him do it? Was it in your computer?

How did he check it? Did you watch him do it? Was it in your computer?

Umm he hooked up the 12V rails to a multimeter (whatever you use to check voltage?) and checked the voltage. He did it right in front of me, and showed me the voltage across both rails. Both were had an acceptable output. Yes it was in my computer when he did it.

Is it possible the problem could be with my motherboard (if it doesn't end up being my power supply)? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on what to replace it with? When I saw the guy at the shop he seemed to think it would be the mobo. I liked the one I had except that the SATA ports were in line with the top PCI-E slot and my 8800 Ultra was too long and couldn't quite fit so I had to place it in the lower slot which only runs at 8x.

Is it possible the problem could be with my motherboard (if it doesn't end up being my power supply)? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on what to replace it with? When I saw the guy at the shop he seemed to think it would be the mobo. I liked the one I had except that the SATA ports were in line with the top PCI-E slot and my 8800 Ultra was too long and couldn't quite fit so I had to place it in the lower slot which only runs at 8x.

It really doesn't seem likely to me, and keep in mind a lesser board will use less power and might make the problem appear to go away.

Honestly I don't know what else you can do. I really, really feel it's the power supply. If he didn't check it with a load on it then his results are meaningless. until you can do that or try a different PSU in there you won't know.

I don't know what is available now for 939 boards now, were it me I'd try to replace it with another DFI if you can find one.

FYI, having an Ultra in an x8 slot doesn't impede your performance. ;)

It really doesn't seem likely to me, and keep in mind a lesser board will use less power and might make the problem appear to go away.

Honestly I don't know what else you can do. I really, really feel it's the power supply. If he didn't check it with a load on it then his results are meaningless. until you can do that or try a different PSU in there you won't know.

I don't know what is available now for 939 boards now, were it me I'd try to replace it with another DFI if you can find one.

FYI, having an Ultra in an x8 slot doesn't impede your performance. ;)

Thanks again for the continued support techno. And about testing it under load he didn't, so it may yet turn out to be the power supply. I'm hoping that's what it is because at least that's not too expensive and it's easy to switch.

Thanks again for the continued support techno. And about testing it under load he didn't, so it may yet turn out to be the power supply. I'm hoping that's what it is because at least that's not too expensive and it's easy to switch.

Depending where you live you might be able to buy one from a Best Buy or something to test it out. I wouldn't recommend keeping it due to the cost premiums (and lack of quality) compared to those from Newegg, but it's worth a shot.

This is of course assuming you don't have a spare or know anybody you could borrow one from.