Please check signal cable (need help)

Alright so this started a month ago, roughly. I'm the kind of person who turns off his computer when he's not using it right? Well it's morning and I get up and turn on my computer and all I get is a black screen with the message "Please check signal cable" and then after 5 seconds the screen shuts off. I thought something was wrong with my monitor or my video card so I tried reseating the video card and checking it out and everything seemed fine. Computer still wouldn't start up. I tried using a different monitor and a different video card, still nothing. I tried just turning the computer on and off a couple times...and voila! Eventually it started up normally. For fear of getting the same problem again, I left my computer on for as long as I could. Unfortunately it's been turned off a couple times since (power outages, etc) and each time it gets more and more difficult to get it to start up. I have to turn it on and off dozens of times before it starts up normally instead of giving me the "Please check signal cable" message. I've checked out all the hardware inside my case and everything seems to be ok. What could the problem be? I'm really hoping someone can help me out.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm do you think so? I've opened up my case and everything starts up normally when I turn it on. All the fans spin, lights on RAM and the mobo turn on, etc etc. I also tried my old 7800GTX which is much less demanding and it still gave me the same problem. Is there any way to test if it's the PSU?

Next time you get it started take a look at the voltage output. Run rthdrbl and check using a multimeter if you ahve one, or just use software for a guesstimate.

I agree with Rado, that Enermax wasn't designed with an Ultra in mind.

The message is probably built into your monitor btw, it should do that when it doesn't detect anything hooked up to it.

What type of monitor are you using.

Are you connecting via DVI or D-Sub analog cable?

I know this sound simplistic - and I'm not trying to be a smart-a*&, but have you tried another cable?

What type of monitor are you using.

Are you connecting via DVI or D-Sub analog cable?

I know this sound simplistic - and I'm not trying to be a smart-a*&, but have you tried another cable?

I'm using a Viewsonic p95f+b and a Dell 2407WFP-HC.Viewsonic is connected VGA but with a VGA to DVI-D adapter and the Dell is just DVI-D.

Is your video card or any other component on your rig overclocked?

Have you done a BIOS reset lately?

Last but not least, as already mentioned you could suspect that your PSU might be the culprit.

Or I guess (ugh and you don't want to hear this) maybe your video card is going on the blink?

Is your video card or any other component on your rig overclocked?

Have you done a BIOS reset lately?

Last but not least, as already mentioned you could suspect that your PSU might be the culprit.

Or I guess (ugh and you don't want to hear this) maybe your video card is going on the blink?

Nah nothing is overclocked. I tried my old card (BFG 7800 GTX OC) and I still had the check signal cable message so I don't think that the video card is the culprit.

BIOS reset? Nope, haven't messed with the BIOS for a long time.

I wish I had a way of knowing if it's the PSU or not. Although when I turn on my PC everything turns on (LEDs, fans, etc) so does that mean the PSU is working or could it still be faulty?