1 LED, system hangs at DFI Logo

Hi all, new to the forum. Thanks in advance for any input and ideas.

A few days ago, computer randomly shut down (after running ok for years on the same set-up). Rebooted and the last LED remained on and the computer hanged at the DFI Logo. Can't enter BIOS. Keyboard won't respond.

Tried extended CMOS clear for 24 hours.

Minimal set up with all 4 power connectors in.

Still no cookie.

Can anyone help? Please?:sad:

did you remove the battery and power cord while clearing cmos?

Its possible that your mb battery is dead(this can cause so random probs) or your psu is bad(this is more likely the prob IMO)

I would try to borrow a recommended psu from someone to test

yeah, removed the battery and unplugged the PSU duing that 24 hour clear.

Battery is near new.

And I just read the "PSU Brands to Avoid!" post from davidhammock200

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29248

Saw my Ultra X-Connect listed there... I guess I need a new PSU? How come my set-up ran problem free for the last 4 or 5 years then... ><

Yeah, removed battery and unplugged PSU cord during that 24 hours.

Battery is near new.

Just read a post by davidhammock200 "PSU Brands to Avoid!"

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29248

and found my ultra x-connect in there...

I have no recommended PSU to burrow. So I guess I'm looking at a new one. Strange thing is that my set-up has been fine for the last 4 or 5 years on the ultra...

"problem free for the last 4 or 5 years"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you have had this PS running a DFI NF4 for that long? anyway, sometimes a PS that is on the 'Brands to avoid" will perform and defy the norm.....the behavior that surfaced on your unit is pretty common with "Brands to avoid", sooner more than later. most of these units will work fine in another setup without a high draw MB like the DFI, even after getting dicey on a DFI....the load that a DFI sucks up at start can cause a huge startup draw on the PS, it can wreak havoc when it is not up to the task anymore....

anyway, the forums are littered with PS failure stories (search is your friend), more often than not solved with a proper PS upgrade....as long as the failure didn't take out anything on the board, or any attached stuffs....

laterzzz.....

from what I read random instability on "known good" settings many times is a psu that is giving up. Actually you'll see many people with with new, even "recommended" psu that can't get the board to boot, they return them for another and viola it works(so if you buy one and it doesn't work I would still not rule out the psu, try another). I have been very lucky with a "not recommended" and "under powered" psu on mine for 2+ years(ThermalTake PurePower 460W), I had 0 issues with it, just got this Antec and keeping that for a spare.

Yeah, I've had this SLI-D when DFI first put it out that many years ago. For this period, I've been running my A64 3000+ at 2.7G (9x300) @ 1.475v; RAM on 2.7v with 2-2-5-2. My GPU has always been the sucky 6600GT not overclocked. And I suppose my current PSU did well to keep up for this long?

And yes, the searches I've done with this forum generally pointed out the faulty PSUs. It's a shame because I live in a rural area and access to good PSU is hard for me. And if everyone all agree on the problem being with the PSU, I guess it's time to update my rig to a Intel quad core. Afterall, I have had a good run with this NF4...

Thanks to you all that helped.

"I live in a rural area and access to good PSU is hard for me."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

not to fret, just----------------

pick a PS from the approved list, then order online......even though i live close to a Fry's, i do most of my business online.....

if you live in the sticks, you really have no other option if you want good components....

laterzzzz....