Sign in to follow this  
cmay119

New build in about a month, and need some advice/assistance.

Hi all, I hate asking this question and have been put off from writing this message, because I'm sure it's been covered before. However, I can't seem to find the exact answers I'm looking for.

I am interested in finally upgrading my PC from the one listed in my Signature to a new intel based build. This is where the problem begins. I'm an Intel n00blet. And I know I'm gonna run into some issues if I just dive into this thing head-first without first consulting the guru's of DIY-Street.

Now, If this were a new AMD system, I were building I'd feel 10x more confident jumping in, but this is unknown territory for me with all this new fan-dangled equipment.

First and foremost. Which is the best motherboard out there to get? I know, stupid question, there are so many variables to have a correct answer. Well, let me narrow it down for you guys to help me make a wiser decision.

I want a motherboard that is going to have a good ratio between Stability and Overclocking potential. I don't need nor want the fastest rig on earth. Just a damn nice rig, with a humble overclock that'll keep me happy. To put that into perspective, my Opteron 250 is sitting nice and stable @ 250x10 and I'm completely content with those clocks, knowing there's more she can push out.

The processor I've made my mind up to get would be the Q6600. I do other things besides gaming and would like the advantage of the 2 other cores at my disposal when needed.

I will not be going SLI/Crossfire. This will be a single card system.

I will be using Windows XP Professional 32-Bit for quite a while, however, I would like to go with 4GB of Memory. Will this cause issues besides the OS not being able to recognize all of it? Or will other problems arise with this as well? BTW, is Windows XP 64-Bit still pretty much unsupported and a bad-OS? Or is it now a decent alternative to Vista?

Is DFI still a good brand to go with for a Motherboard company? I know Angry_Games is not the most pleased with them at the moment. But is that a biased point of view or is it completely warranted that they aren't the most reputable of companies to be doing business with (I'm not trying to stir the pot Angry, so please don't take this question as a loaded one)?

Last but not least, I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around overclocking Intel based CPU's in comparison to AMD's. If anyone wants to point me to a n00b guide that would atleast help me understand the differences that would be great.

Also, what is a realistic figure for overclocking (air cooled) a Q6600 so I could plan out what speed memory to purchase, that would be very helpful.

Again, I apologize for the long-winded and seen it 1000x before post. But your answers to this would help me a great deal.

Thanks guys.

another question you need to answer is if you need raid?

also what are you looking to spend? this will narrow it down further

I see many like the gigabyte boards, I've been looking at some also, but I read somewhere about some board(thought it was a gigabyte model) not as great as others w/ a quad and I forget the reason as I'm new to this intel stuff also. I'm sure someone else will offer the great advise you seek.

Thanks Speedeuphoria. I didn't mention RAID because I thought it was tandard equipment pretty much on every new motherboard now. Yes I'll need RAID support.

thats basically what I'm looking for because I need raid also and its not standard till you get to ~$120.

The ones I was looking at are P35 north's because they do very well, not as expensive as the newer stuff. The Gigabyte boards have an "R" in the part number when raid is available.

This is one I was looking at

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813128086

I also read a little on the MSI P35 Neo2 FR, people like these boards, but has less sata ports then the Gigabyte for the same price but better board cooling, this board is basically a Platinum version with different on board coolers afaik.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813130098

But again the Platinum version is on sale now so it would be better to get that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...tel+Motherboard

Some comments about XP X64;

I'm using XP X64 and it's actually a pretty good OS and it seems a bit quicker than the X86; the only minor issue is that driver support from hardware (peripheral) vendors (i.e. HP) is somewhat limited.

My boss runs XP-64 and he's very happy. If you go that way then make sure the hardware you buy does 64bit drivers. In fact only buy hardware with 64 bit drivers.

You mentioned that you're firm on the Q6600 but you must be tempted by an E8400 - 4Ghz on air. You could then put those extra pennies towards a better GPU or something.

Well, I'm not firm on a Q6600. It just seemed like the best bang-for-the-buck processor. Also, my local Micro Center has them for $199 right now.

I still want good gaming performance though, is the Q6600 going to fail me in that respect?

Not in the slightest, and 199 bucks is an absolute steal jump on that sucker.

Overclocking an intel is no different than an AMD, things just have different names. If you can do one then you can do the other. don't sweat it bro its actually easier I think.

There is no difference at all in gaming between a dual and a quad at the moment, but when multi threaded games start to hit the shelves there will be. I didn't buy mine just for todays games n software I bought it for what might come along as I only upgrade every few years so I wanted to bite off a bigger chunk of time between my upgrades.

They will do a full Ghz overclock and as you are not an Overclocking demon going form 2.4 to 3.4/3.6 Ghz will suit you nicely. But when you want to encode a DVD or any video file for that matter, the quad really shows you what it holds over a dual core.

If it was just for games and the Quad was still $280 i'd say go for a dual at $180 but as your getting it now for $199 I think its a no brainer dude.

The hard part comes from choosing the right board, getting harder these days as there is so many to choose from. The Gigabytes are so easy to overclock its like reading a childs big print book. Looking at the BIOS of the DFI P35 its like it always is, confusing but very thorough lol.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

if u are going for an insane overclock, dfi p35, cuz it IS dfi lol, but if u want to try something else, which i always encourage, go gigabyte, or some other company...