External HDD

gtrdude485

Looking for an external to supplement my laptop until I can RMA my PSU for my desktop. Any suggestions?

I've been considering these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822204034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136025

Let me know if anyone has these/experience. THanks

I really like the external 2.5" hard drives, no need for extra power. Small enough to fit in your pocket and big enough to hold anything you want. I bought a little 80Gb Samsung 2.5" and a 10 dollar USB 2.0 enclosure from ebay and I love it. Price always goes up when things get smaller. 500Gb is a nice size for that price though, get a little program called HDspeed and give it a few tests for write n read speeds I'm kinda curious to know.

On a side note, what kind is the hard drive is in an Ipod?

I really like the external 2.5" hard drives, no need for extra power. Small enough to fit in your pocket and big enough to hold anything you want. I bought a little 80Gb Samsung 2.5" and a 10 dollar USB 2.0 enclosure from ebay and I love it. Price always goes up when things get smaller. 500Gb is a nice size for that price though, get a little program called HDspeed and give it a few tests for write n read speeds I'm kinda curious to know.

On a side note, what kind is the hard drive is in an Ipod?

yep, I got an older 40GB laptop 5400RPM drive and a $10 Thermaltake enclosure that does USB2.0 / eSATA and it's awesome. No external power source required (you have to power from USB if you use eSATA but I never use eSATA so blah blah haha)

toughest part is the cost of the 2.5" laptop hdd's...but much less bulky and much less annoying than the full 3.5" external hdd enclosures.

Another thing I recommend is the Buffalo NAS (Network Attached Storage) stuff. I snagged a 250GB version for an office here locally for about $109 and it works over the network (10/100/1000) as well as USB, and is expandable (ie you can plug 2 other USB external hdd's into the USB ports on the Buffalo)