Sign in to follow this  
momoceio

Air Cooling innovation

We'll have to wait and see if it stands the test; my guess is that it won't last long for PC cooling.

Seems like it's not really gaining you anything, especially from an enthusiast standpoint. I'm the kind of guy that wants to set a speed and leave it there. At the very, very most I might have two settings - 'performance' and 'quiet/idle'.

Seems like a waste of time to design.

Probably so, but at least someone is trying new ideas. I'm sure there are some applications where it would be ideal. If it proves to be reliable then I'd rather use that then a electric fan for a system that I just want to leave running 24/7 or for a real low power system.

The thing is that the Stirling engine has been around since 1816; if it really is that useful for PC cooling it most likely would have been implemented long ago, as such it is most likely a marketing ploy

That efficiency is incredible. It's not going to be an amazing innovation for PC cooling, but they're not stepping backwards.

It hasn't been used yet probably because of the research time and money, as well as the cost of putting a moving mechanical piston on a motherboard in place of a simple electromagnetic fan.

could work good on a processor. that fan looked wimpy, but a better design could make it interesting.

nonetheless... it's more expensive than the little electric fans, so it probably wont get wide reception.

It looks okay and might work for regular clocked cpu's. I dont think its beefy enough in this form to help much with higher heat oc'd cpu's.

And the fact that it works on heat, you dont exactly have a choice as to how fast the fan goes. It simply turns as much as the manufacturer wants it to; not like standard fans where I can pick low speed high temp or you can pick high speed low temp. nonetheless very nice idea.