Sign in to follow this  
red930

Score!

Today I was supposed to go up to Crescent City to fix a friend's home network. Previous to leaving Banditfromhell was to arrive (3 hours from Ukiah) to trade a 500GB hard drive for the Lian Li PC-75B full tower case I was no longer using.

BfH arrives at about 8:30 and we make the trade. All went smooth and he's a rather pleasant easy going person too. Hooked him up with a 5¼" rheobus to boot for his trouble.

About 10 minutes after he left I get a call from my friend in Crescent City saying he has to cancel because his wife got called into work and he has to stay home to take care of his sick child. No problem; rescheduled for Monday afternoon at 4pm.

No less than two minutes after we hang-up I get another call from one of my customers. He bought a bunch of parts for a new build for his son and wants me to assemble them for him. We work out the details and he agrees to the terms. He wants to install Windows Vista Ultimate on his own so all I will charge him for is assembly and basic component operability verification.

So he comes over and I take inventory of the parts. Good stuff here: Antec Nine Hundred case, Thermaltake 1000watt PSU, Asus Striker II Formula, 4GB of Mushkin DDR2-XP2 8500, retail boxed Q6600, XFX 8800GTS 512, 6 x WD 1TB hard drives, 1 x 18X Pioneer DVD burner, Pioneer Blue-Ray and DVD SATA burner among other things.

See the problem here? He has 8 SATA devices while the motherboard will only support 6 SATA devices. I let him know this fact and this is the conversation that ensued:

Me: You will only be able to run 4 of the 1TB drives because the burners will occupy two of the six SATA ports.

Him: Can you get this machine built today? Its for my son.

Me: Yes, easily but you won't be able to use two of the 1TB drives.

Him: Build the computer for my son this morning and you can keep the two drives and I will pay your labor.

Me: Are you really sure about this?

Him: If you can build this system before 10:30am then you can keep two of the drives, I'll pay your labor and we'll call it even.

Me: Done.

I build the system, load my shop copy of Windows XP to perform quick tests on the parts, wipe the drive containing the OS and all is done by 10:20. He gives me the two drives, cash for the labor and heads back-up to Crescent City with the new machine.

Acquiring 2½ Terabytes of storage in one day ain't too bad at all. Especially considering 2 Terabyes were free. smile.gif

Guest SuppA-SnipA

that is a sweet customer lol

Don't be jealous now....oh hell, let's all be jealous.

Nice score!

/me walks off mumbling something that rhymes with "dastard".

:angel:

Dayum, while reading I thought it was going to have a horrific ending like he called the cops and said you stole 2 hard drives or something. Well he must have more than a few bucks in his wallet and you did build it for him on the spot by the exact time he wanted it, so you deserved the bonus dude. Its good to know there are still some nice rich people around...lol

That’s not the ending any of thought was going to happen, specially those of us that read your post about your pot smoking, rig frying short time temp employee. It’s nice to hear about something good that happened. Thanks for sharing.

looks like kharma came back and reimbursed you for that ordeal you described in your last work topic. Grats man! :D