Sign in to follow this  
snugglealufacus

So im thinking about buying an eVGA

Here is a link to clubit.com for the G0, its where I got mine. I payed $280

Get the retail box version with the full warranty, its worth it.

http://clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA1938452 ---- $255

The EX38 looks like a damn fine board bro, I know you are aware how to build but take every precaution dude, discharge your static electricity before you touch it, those packing peanuts hold so much static I believe this is the biggest cause of DOA's where people are glowing with static and they just reach in and fry it with one nasty click.

There has been a lot of DQ6 threads in this forum so read as much as you can and get all the right drivers ready as well as having a few BIOS's handy too.

You have a sweet rig at the moment but you are not going to believe how fast your new one will feel.

Good luck and happy building Snugg

good looking cpu and RAM. Not familiar with the SLI Intel boards. I just buy a single card because by the time it's necessary to buy a second card a year or three later to play all the newest games, there's a new gpu out with the power to beat two of your generation's vid cards in SLI.

I don't think that's the case this time around. I've read a couple of reviews on the 9800GTX and it seems it is only about 20% faster than the 8800GTX on 1920x1200. The good news is that they are selling for about $300, they run cooler than the 8XXX series and are very overclockable. Not worth an upgrade if you already have an 8800GTX. I think I'll wait for the next gen.

I wouldnt go for anything using a 780i chipset. the chipset was made to support full-speed sli, and this was done by adding a 2ndary northbridge next to a 680i chipset. this was the top of the hill for just 2 months, and in a few days the 790i chipsets will hit retail (if they havent already) and this time its a real new chipset with all the features you would expect from a new chipset. i dont doubt the 780i will perform well and do what its told, but i dont like the cheap solution nvidia used here just to be able to stand up against the x38 intel chipset. go for a 790i!

780i supports ddr2 and Yorkfield, so if you're not ready to go ddr3 yet it might be a good choice. 790i won't support nehalem processors which should be out around the end of the year or early next year.

i was wondering. why not go for this one:

EVGA 750i

the few reviews i read claimed it was at least as good a clocker as the 780i. its ddr2 and i think it has 2 16 speed pci-e. its cheaper for sure :)

I'm not sold on one uber card vs an SLI setup.

I agree with the thought that you shouldn't plan to upgrade to SLI later, but I don't think that applies to when you're actually building.

By the time you are ready to upgrade, it won't be worth it. But it IS worth it at the build date. For example, right now the best performance in the $300-400 price range comes from an SLI setup.. dual 8800GTs for example costing around $340 will beat an 8800GTX that still costs $330-400.

If one 8800GT isn't enough for anyone these days then they will never be satisfied. For me SLI is a huge waste of money aimed at people who sit hour after hour watching 3D Mark 06 scores all day long, 20% performance increase for twice the money just doesn't seem smart to me.

That's why there is such a wide price range. Something for everyone's wallet.

Like that bunny rabbit in the commercial and the little kids.

Silly rabbit, SLI is for kids.:rolleyes:

:nod: