[Resolved] Ultra high pitch noise from rig

TheReaper

Hi all, I have noticed more recently this ultra high pitch noise coming from my rig, it's like something a bat would hear or a dog whislte, it's constantly there while powered up. The noise kinda flickers very slightly now and then but it's mostly just constant pitch.

I have tried to locate the source but it's impossible at the frequency range.

I thought the obvious way is to replace each component to see if it goes away, but I don't have any parts to try so I thought I'd remove each component but then it obviously won't boot and the system speaker screams at me.

I personally think it must be the HDD as sometimes I watch the HDD acivity LED and it flashes as the frequency of this annoying, headache giving noise flickers.

Any ideas, anyone have a dog whistle in their rig?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I did the remove/replace one by one method.... It's unfindable (is that a word) I meant untracable so it must be the psu, that's the only logical conclusion I can come to. Thanks all. It really does give me a headache after 5 minutes, it's a horrible sound, barely audible but yukky.lol

You could take the PSU out and jump start it, to see if the noise is coming from the PSU.

To jump start a PSU you only need a piece of wire with stripped ends. You can power on the PSU by shorting out the green lead with any of the black leads on the 20/24 pin connector and then switching the unit on.

Thanks ReelFiles, tried it, that's wasn't noisy. Could it be the CPU? I obviously can't remove/replace it to check as without it the sys won't boot and I don't have a spare 775 sock CPU.

No not the CPU, if it really bothers you, you could build up the rig outside of the case and try to put your ear to each component. You could also just have a noisy case; air flowing over sharp edges etc.