Angry's first time (iPod)

Angry_Games

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop your complaining Angry and just go to http://www.rockbox.org/ and put that on the iPOD.

You will thank me later...

actually, that is about the dumbest thing I think I could ever do to my music player is put someone else's firmware on it. After having read through the FAQ and documentation, I am not impressed at all, and would never consider such a thing (thanks though, I'm always open to check out stuff).

Winamp does everything I need it to do and doesn't violate the unit nor it's warranty (long past expired I'm sure), and doesn't require me to flash any firmware, and I KNOW Winamp works because I'm using it.

No dice on that. I'm not looking for software for my iPod, just user experiences with theirs and other portable music players.

I've yet to hear anyone talk about how their iPod sounds...

Guest Modulok

Rockbox is great. I have a Toshiba Gigabeat F40, the factory software sucks. It encrypts your music files so you cannot move them to a friends computer. Also means that you cannot count on it as a backup of your music collection. It uses Winamp fine, any program that can play an audio file. (FLAC is supported, along with a ton of other formats)

Rockbox has so many awesome options that I couldn't believe. For instance, it will pause/resume your song/playlist based on unplugging/plugging in your headphones.

If you do try it, you will probably think "how did I use this otherwise"...

There must be someone else that has tried it in here.

I think my only real complaint of iPods I've used (but never personally owned) would have to be wussie battery life. Seems whenever we used one at parties the stupid thing would go dead before the end of the night, so around 4-5 hours maybe. That included both the kind with the hard disk and the kind with the flash memory. This of course is partially due to being turned up relatively loud of course, but still that seems awfully unacceptable.

Never had that problem with my Sansa, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. It claimed around 20 hours of playback and that's pretty much what I've experienced, regardless of volume. In fact I don't think it's ever gone dead on me.

The supplied software doesn't work on x64 (of course) but Windows Media Player easily picks it up. Winamp did it better. I use MediaMonkey now which is essentially the same as Winamp (from what I understand) but has more options and a nicer user interface.

The sound quality on iPods is acceptable for the sort of music generally put on them. I mostly listen to quieter music so the quality of the output becomes more apparent than, say, listening to 5+ hours of godawful pop and rap that was never recorded correctly in the first place. The sound of music downloaded through iTunes is readily apparent versus music purchased elsewhere or ripped from a CD though.

I will never understand the people that blow $100+ on a pair of earbuds for an iPod. It baffles me...I mean do they feel better about themselves for doing so? Yeah, the supplied buds suck. Just like all supplied headphones everywhere on virtually every product sold. But you can buy very decent ones for $30-$50. More than good enough for the tiny amp on any mp3 player, we aren't asking for miracles here. It just isn't designed to be perfect, don't waste your damn money!

In conclusion, I hate people.

Rockbox is great. I have a Toshiba Gigabeat F40, the factory software sucks. It encrypts your music files so you cannot move them to a friends computer. Also means that you cannot count on it as a backup of your music collection. It uses Winamp fine, any program that can play an audio file. (FLAC is supported, along with a ton of other formats)

Rockbox has so many awesome options that I couldn't believe. For instance, it will pause/resume your song/playlist based on unplugging/plugging in your headphones.

If you do try it, you will probably think "how did I use this otherwise"...

There must be someone else that has tried it in here.

How does that work as I have the same player you do...? does it replace the Toshiba software on the player...I just got used to that and set it all up...

I would rather use drag and drop like a HD or USB device like some other players but this works fine for me

Guest Modulok

Dr Bowtie...the software on the Gigabeat sucks, I never "got used to it". I barely used it until they finished the rockbox for the Gigabeat.

Its so nice just to use it as USB media, drag & drop, etc. It has a ton of features I don't even use. I am pretty sure you can always take the rockbox software off and restore it back to the orginal software. (double check the site though, as I am not responsible for what *could* happen)

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GigabeatFXPort

http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox...kbox-build.html

If you do try it and have questions let me know.

In defense of the iPod (I'm not a fan of itunes either), I purchased one because of this one thing.

Scroll wheel fast forwarding. Now in all fairness, I don't know of what other MP3 players do this, but I knew the iPod did and that was the major selling point for me.

I almost only listen to live sets of DJs anymore. These live sets can be anywhere from an hour long upto 8 hours (the longest on my iPod). They all appear in the ipod as a single track, and if I want to get to a certain point in one of those, it would take forever just holding down the fast forward button.

The Scroll wheel completely alleviates that issue, by allowing me to fast forward through even the longest set with in seconds.

I'd also argue that the ipod has pretty decent audio quality as well, as long as you're putting in decent music files to begin with.