[Resolved] - Random Shutting Down.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u have Serato? nice ;)

are u sure in your bios the shut off temperature isnt set too low?

I've got it set to shutdown @ 60C. Should I turn that off completely? No temp monitored component in my case is coming anywhere close to 60C.

UPDATE:

Suppa I tried turning the Shutdown Temp to Disabled.

Within 5 minutes of changing that setting the PC shut down again.

I guess we can rule out that possibility, right?

I ask again, do you guy's know of any component that could make the PC completely shut down besides the PSU?

cmay,

do you get random shutdowns when the system is running at stock clocks and voltages?

if you cant answer that question (yet) i'd take everything back to defaults and see what happens.

I took everything back down to stock settings, and it still had the random shutdowns. The thing is to, I see no signs of instability other than the shutdown problem itself.

Suppa, I took a look at the board looking for leaky capacitors or anything of that sort, and saw nothing unusual.

Also, I forgot to mention, that last night, I also cleared the CMOS for 20 Mins. Still no change. I understand that's not the equivelant to a 24hr clear, I'll do that if I have to, but not too excited about it.

Again guys, thank you for your time and patience. :)

cmay,

do you get random shutdowns when the system is running at stock clocks and voltages?

if you cant answer that question (yet) i'd take everything back to defaults and see what happens.

I took everything back down to stock settings, and it still had the random shutdowns. The thing is to, I see no signs of instability other than the shutdown problem itself.

Suppa, I took a look at the board looking for leaky capacitors or anything of that sort, and saw nothing unusual.

Also, I forgot to mention, that last night, I also cleared the CMOS for 20 Mins. Still no change. I understand that's not the equivelant to a 24hr clear, I'll do that if I have to, but not too excited about it.

Again guys, thank you for your time and patience. :)

EDIT: Also, no unusual whining that I could hear (except for the whining coming out of my mouth ;) ). Just normal case fan noise.

cmay,

before your OCZ power supply gave up the ghost, were you experiencing the same shutdown problems? what exactly were the symptoms leading up to the OCZ power supply failure?

None, the computer was running fine. Only symptoms were that of the powersupply not wanting to turn the computer on from a cold start. To eventually not turning on at all.

I replaced with this power supply and it boots up every time. However, now I'm in the situation where it now randomly shuts off.

Any theories?

When my Ultra-D was doing the same thing (random shutdowns), I replaced my PSU and all has been good from that point forward.

If nothing has changed - other than the new psu - and this random shutdown problem has just popped up after changing power supplies - then my next step would be to RMA the power supply to eliminate that as the culprit. Hopefully that does the trick.

When my Ultra-D was doing the same thing (random shutdowns), I replaced my PSU and all has been good from that point forward.

If nothing has changed - other than the new psu - and this random shutdown problem has just popped up after changing power supplies - then my next step would be to RMA the power supply to eliminate that as the culprit. Hopefully that does the trick.

Alright Wev. Thank you for the input and support through this. I'm going to exchange it tommorow then and hopefully my issues will be resolved. :)

Also, I have a hard time believing that any other component in the computer (defective or otherwise) could make the computer completely power down (sans maybe the motherboard) but then boot right back up after it and while the computer would be running, it would perform flawlessly (from what I can tell), until next random shutdown.

I know defective components can give random reboot issues, but I've never had the problem of random shutdowns unless heat was the underlying cause.