E2180 Hit Wall at 2.9Ghz

i just got a 2180 for a friend, easy as pie to 266. 280 highly unstable. 300 crashed ..

p35 asus p5k-e ... temps werent that high either. stock hsf they were ~40-45 load... didnt add more vcore though, and maybe i'm missing something?

Either your ambient is a lot lower than mine, my chip just runs naturally hotter, or I've got some serious lapping to do. Were you running small FFTs? In any case at stock speed I was seeing about 40C-45C load. The instant I overclocked it to 2.4Ghz load temps jumped to 55C or so, and increased about 1C for each additional 100Mhz. I am in Texas and it did get up into the lower 90s (F) here today though :)

I paid a bit more for the 2180 thinking that it'd be a bit easier to overclock than the 2160. Also that it'd help me keep my overall temps down a bit as I should be able to get by with a lower FSB due to the 10x mutliplier. Was this incorrect thinking on my part? Would I have been better off with the 2160?

A bit off topic, but at what point do you guys usually decide to void the warranty and lap the cpu? I'm antsy to do it now, as I've got nothing to do really until my HSF comes in. Its about to complete 24 hours of Prime95 small FFTs. I think I'm going to be patient though, get the HSF, see how far it'll go, make sure I'm happy and everything is stable. Then lap away to try and get things as cool as possible.

I paid a bit more for the 2180 thinking that it'd be a bit easier to overclock than the 2160. Also that it'd help me keep my overall temps down a bit as I should be able to get by with a lower FSB due to the 10x mutliplier. Was this incorrect thinking on my part? Would I have been better off with the 2160?

don't think it matters much.

i think the only diff is the multi so its pretty much "luck of the draw".

atleast you have a 10 multi to play with. :)

don't think it matters much.

i think the only diff is the multi so its pretty much "luck of the draw".

atleast you have a 10 multi to play with. :)

Yeah I don't it should matter much for the processor either way. Should be a little easier on the RAM and mobo though I think.

Well, I got my new Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler in and put it on last night. Either that thing is amazing, the stock Intel cooler sucks, or probably a combination of both.

At 2.9Ghz with the stock Intel cooler I was getting a pretty solid 60C on both cores. After mounting the Xigmatek load temps dropped to 47C, ambients were within 1C.

Anyway, with adequet cooling now I went ahead to see how far I could push the chip. I was able to get 3Ghz 2-hour stable but it required an increase in voltage from 1.268v to 1.31v. Load temps rose from 47C to about 50C.

I then moved on to 3.2Ghz, but my chip really wasn't wanting to cooperate. I had to push it to 1.35 just to get it to boot into windows, and pushing it to 1.387v failed after about 50mins of small FFTs. Load temps were up to about 55-56C. I ran out of time so I wasn't able to continue testing.

Looks like I didn't get the best overclocking chip, core 1 seems to be very weak.

So what do you guys think? Am I still well within the realm of safety and should I keep pushing a bit more voltage to try and get 3.2 stable? I know the chip is rated for up to 1.5v, I'm just not used to having to increase voltage this much. At this point I'm tempted to just take the 3Ghz at 1.31v, or even the 2.9Ghz at 1.268v and keep things nice cool and stable.

Thanks for all the input so far, and I urge you guys to check out this Xigmatek if you're in the market for a great cooler for a budget price. It does use the Intel pushpin design, which sucks. But it's compatible with the Thermalright backplate from what I've read, plus I think Xigmatek is planning to change to a bolt mounting method.

-Mid

Well, I got my new Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler in and put it on last night. Either that thing is amazing, the stock Intel cooler sucks, or probably a combination of both.

At 2.9Ghz with the stock Intel cooler I was getting a pretty solid 60C on both cores. After mounting the Xigmatek load temps dropped to 47C, ambients were within 1C.

Anyway, with adequet cooling now I went ahead to see how far I could push the chip. I was able to get 3Ghz 2-hour stable but it required an increase in voltage from 1.268v to 1.31v. Load temps rose from 47C to about 50C.

I then moved on to 3.2Ghz, but my chip really wasn't wanting to cooperate. I had to push it to 1.35 just to get it to boot into windows, and pushing it to 1.387v failed after about 50mins of small FFTs. Load temps were up to about 55-56C. I ran out of time so I wasn't able to continue testing.

Looks like I didn't get the best overclocking chip, core 1 seems to be very weak.

So what do you guys think? Am I still well within the realm of safety and should I keep pushing a bit more voltage to try and get 3.2 stable? I know the chip is rated for up to 1.5v, I'm just not used to having to increase voltage this much. At this point I'm tempted to just take the 3Ghz at 1.31v, or even the 2.9Ghz at 1.268v and keep things nice cool and stable.

Thanks for all the input so far, and I urge you guys to check out this Xigmatek if you're in the market for a great cooler for a budget price. It does use the Intel pushpin design, which sucks. But it's compatible with the Thermalright backplate from what I've read, plus I think Xigmatek is planning to change to a bolt mounting method.

-Mid

Put 1.4V through it and lets see what the temps will do! Where are you at with your FSB? And what is the voltage on it?

Put 1.4V through it and lets see what the temps will do! Where are you at with your FSB? And what is the voltage on it?

320FSB, I tried it the NB voltage at normal and +.1v and could tell no difference in stability when priming at both 300FSB and 320FSB. This makes me think it isn't a lack of voltage on the NB at this point. What is a safe amount of voltage to add to the NB?

I'll give 1.4V a try when I get home to see what the temps look like, just based on what I've seen so far I'd expect 1.4v to get me up to the 57-59 range.

I could also try dropping the multi down to x9 and increasing FSB to 355. I've heard of some boards having "FSB holes" where sometimes higher FSBs actually have better stability. Not sure if there is any truth to that though.

go ahead and let it run default voltage(or 1.31,whichever is stable) for a while longer. i swear my chip did the same thing at first.

just run the 333/800 divider,the cpu clock at 333, and a 9x multi. that should put you right at 3gig with a 200 buss.so pretty much the only thing your overclocking is the processor.imo thats the best divider for our processor/ram setup, least the best i've found through tweaking.

as far as processor voltage goes i had to push mine to 1.48 to pass benchies at 3.5 but even with my cooler i was hitting 67-68 degree's which is much to hot for my liking.so i ended up 3.3 @ 1.38v running max temps in upper 40's to low 50's.

i also upped most of my voltages a tad to insure stability. here's a screenie of my voltages.

p.s. this screenie was taken before my chip started reacting to vcore increase so i was running it at default voltage.but the rest of the voltages remained the same.

Picture_004.jpg

Picture_005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Sorry I kind of dropped off for a while there. It's been a busy few days. Things got crazy at work and I had to leave town for a few days. Anyway I'm back and I've had a bit of time to play some more and I think I've got things where I'll probably leave them for a while.

I opted to stay at 3Ghz @1.31V. The system is plenty fast for what I need, and more importantly it is rock solid stable and runs cool and quiet. If I have a few lazy days over the summer I might try pushing it a lot harder. By then hopefully it'll be a bit more responsive to voltage increases.

Thanks for all the support and advice, I'll keep you posted if I play more over the summer.

-Mid

Hey All,

Sorry I kind of dropped off for a while there. It's been a busy few days. Things got crazy at work and I had to leave town for a few days. Anyway I'm back and I've had a bit of time to play some more and I think I've got things where I'll probably leave them for a while.

I opted to stay at 3Ghz @1.31V. The system is plenty fast for what I need, and more importantly it is rock solid stable and runs cool and quiet. If I have a few lazy days over the summer I might try pushing it a lot harder. By then hopefully it'll be a bit more responsive to voltage increases.

Thanks for all the support and advice, I'll keep you posted if I play more over the summer.

-Mid

Sorted things out! Nice!