E2180 Hit Wall at 2.9Ghz

Hey All,

Working on overclocking my new machine, the second one in my signature. I have a Xigmatek S1283 on the way, but it got separated from the rest of the order and I couldn't wait for it to get here on Monday to start playing with it ;).

This might just be as far as I can push it with the stock aluminum cooler, but I thought I'd try to get it to go as far as it can this weekend.

It's ran like a champ so far, haven't long term stressed it but it passed an hour of Prime95 small FFTs all the way up to 2.9Ghz without problem. However, it fails at 3Ghz within 2 minutes on core 1.

I've manually set the CPU voltage to 1.268v in the BIOS, which was fine up through 2.9. I tried increments up to 1.3v trying to get 3Ghz stable, but it didn't respond at all. I didn't want to push it further than that without adequate cooling and without knowing exactly what these chips can take. Right now Priming 2.9Ghz is giving me load temps of 60C(ambient 27C), which is higher than I'd feel comfortable with long term but I don't think its hurting anything until my Xigmatek arrives. All RAM timings are set to AUTO, what's in my signature is what CPU-Z is reporting. I've set the Gigabyte Memory Multiplier to 2, which has the memory running at 1:1 so that shouldn't be the problem. All voltages other than CPU are set to Auto.

Any ideas for me to try to hit 3Ghz while I wait for the Xigmatek to arrive? Is the heatsink and/or lack of CPU voltage what is holding me back? Would voltage on the northbridge help? RAM settings?

Its just weird that it had no problems until I hit 3Ghz then its an immediate fail. I know every chip overclocks differently, so if 2.9Ghz all I'm going to be able to get out of it I'll be perfectly happy.

Thanks,

-Mid

mine wouldn't run much over 3 with that voltage. but it would run 3 completely stable at default voltage.

it also seemed to take a few weeks before it would really respond well to added vcore.

i'd give it some more vcore and see how it does. just watch temps as i don't think the stock hs is very good.

also if it doesn't respond well to the added vcore don't worry about it to much right now.like i said mine took acouple weeks to really start running well. my friend got the 2180 and he could only get 2.7 out of his for the first couple weeks.

edit: hmmm just looked at your sig. looks like your dvr is going to out game your gaming rig. ;)

edit: hmmm just looked at your sig. looks like your dvr is going to out game your gaming rig. ;)

A 7800GT smokes an 8600. ;)

What FSB are you currently at?

You have a high delta T right now, I'd hold off until you have a better sink before pushing it much farther.

Thanks for all the responses :)

Looks like the consensus is pretty much wait for better cooling, which will hopefully make the final push to hit/break 3Ghz. And yeah the stock Intel cooler is pretty horrible. I'm half tempted to take my Zalman off my gamer, put the stock AMD HSF (the nice heatpipe one) and see how much that helps. I've been tempted to test out that stock AMD heatsink anyway to compare it to the Zalman as I never even used it. That's a lot of work when my Xigmatek will be here Monday and I'd have to put it all back if the stock AMD cooler doesn't outperform the Zalman.

Speaking of the Intel HSF being horrible, I'd been reading about how much everyone hates the push pins for the last couple of weeks. Man were you guys not kidding, these things are a serious pain and just about worthless. I've got the Zalman 775 backplate still from my other HSF that I'm not using so I'll probably give it a go with the Xigmatek to see if I can get it working. I've seen an equal number of people in HSF reviews (*cough*Tom's Hardware*cough*) complaining about backplates, but those guys are nuts. If the backplate was stock and universal they'd all have backplates already, and two its worth taking the motherboard out one time regardless of the hassle for the ease of mind as well as ease of future installs.

KimberKlr: Thanks for the tip about giving it a few weeks, hopefully mine will loosen up a bit. It didn't seem to respond at all to voltage increases, so I'll see if time and a new HSF helps. Also its funny you noticed the sig, I've been pondering the last 3-4 days which box I want for what purpose while I've waited for parts to come in. I think I've settled on this config though. My DVR box will actually make better use of the extra horsepower, as it's constantly auto cutting commercials and encoding all the TV my wife and I watch. Plus it's going to be on 24/7 so it's significantly lower power consumption should be a little easier on the power bill :)

HITandRUN: Thanks for the tip on the upper voltage range. I had seen that the upper limit on Intel's page was 1.5v. I'll probably try to keep it under 1.4v mainly because I'd rather keep heat down than squeeze a few more Mhz out of it, but I'll see how well the Xigmatek performs to see how far I push it.

technodanvan: Ha, yeah my 7800GT should still have the edge, but the 8600GT I got comes stock overclocked out the wazoo, thanks to the zalman cooler. Not to mention it was about $150 cheaper than what I paid for my 7800GT :). From the benchmarks I've seen of similarly clocked cards the 8600 is surprisingly close, not to mention it has DX10 support that I don't care about since I don't plan on running Vista anytime soon. I'll probably do a little heads up testing between the two and either keep the best performer in my gamer, or if they're close put the quietest one in the DVR.

Edit: Forgot to answer technodanvan's question. The 2180 has a 10x multiplier, so 290 FSB.

Which Xigmatek are you taking about?

Xigmatek HDT-S1283

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233003

I've seen several reviews sing it's praises. Usually comes withing a degree or two of the TRUEs, great performance for a really cheap price.

technodanvan: I haven't tried that yet, at 290 I was already sitting at 60C load, the 1-2 mintues Prime would run at 300 was giving me 61C so I didn't really want to push it any further. With the new cooler if it doesn't play nice at stock I'll try that for sure, thanks for the suggestion. What are the upper FSB limits on these Gigabyte DS3 boards usually?

KimberKlr:My DVR box will actually make better use of the extra horsepower, as it's constantly auto cutting commercials and encoding all the TV my wife and I watch. Plus it's going to be on 24/7 so it's significantly lower power consumption should be a little easier on the power bill :)

yea the dual core should play the 1080p stuff pretty well.

i know my [email protected] had a rough time with some of them.

Xigmatek HDT-S1283

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233003

I've seen several reviews sing it's praises. Usually comes withing a degree or two of the TRUEs, great performance for a really cheap price.

technodanvan: I haven't tried that yet, at 290 I was already sitting at 60C load, the 1-2 mintues Prime would run at 300 was giving me 61C so I didn't really want to push it any further. With the new cooler if it doesn't play nice at stock I'll try that for sure, thanks for the suggestion. What are the upper FSB limits on these Gigabyte DS3 boards usually?

A DS3 should surpass 350FSB with no issues. 400 with slight voltage boosts here and there. I don't know what the max anyone has had, I'm sure it's better than 430, probably better than 450 even.

I just ask because sometimes slight bumps in FSB aren't enough for boards to jump to the next strap. I only had a DS3 for a short time so didn't really get to know it very well. Jumping up a 'considerable' amount (to 320ish or so) might let her jump to the next strap and allow for stability regardless of voltage settings.

I'm running my P965-DS3 at 450FSB and it can go higher. P35's take it a step further, so you should be up in the 500 range, depending if your chip can handle it or not and you have proper cooling. I've never seen a EP35-DSR3 though, only a P35-DS3R. Is that like on-board video/sound or something?