Sign in to follow this  
paulktreg

The DIY Street Electronics Hobbyist Forum?

How about a section for the electronic hobbyist. I'm a time served electronics techinician now working in medical equipment service. Fallen behind in the latest innovations but still able to wield a soldering iron and find my way round Ohms' Law. There's lots of things that can be done with a few IC's, a bit of stripboard and some LEDs to brighten up any dull PC case!

Regards

Paul

How about a section for the electronic hobbyist. I'm a time served electronics techinician now working in medical equipment service. Fallen behind in the latest innovations but still able to wield a soldering iron and find my way round Ohms' Law. There's lots of things that can be done with a few IC's, a bit of stripboard and some LEDs to brighten up any dull PC case!

Regards

Paul

Well give some examples! :angel:

For the time being I think we have enough sections unless it turns out something becomes extremely popular. Put it along with case mods if that's what it is, or throw it in off-topic or other if you aren't sure.

let's hear it. i know a little about circuitry and everything. I use op-amps frequently in lab work, and other basic circuits like that, but in order for me to feel confident enough to build a curcuit, ive gotta have BLACK AND WHITE guidelines. none of this fuzzy "of course these resistor values are variable based on what transistor you choose to put in parallel with your capacitors" crap.

some cool tutorials would be definitely something i would read and probably bring to fruition.

one thing i could never figure out was the DIY Air Ionizer.

give me a short, concise description of what the section would be about and give it a "street" theme (PCB Parkway, LED Landing, etc) and we'll talk about it

Tell me what it should include (I say it should include soldering since I'm awful at it)

Guest Neezer

This sounds like something I would have interest in as well. I am looking at it from the perspective of a guy who likes to tinker with stuff....and possibly get an OOPIC (object oriented programmable integrated circuit) of some sort to mess around with.

I'm still up for this one. It's not been forgotten. Got myself involved with a power supply thread which I would like to concentrate on for now.

Angry

Soldering, in my experience, is not something you can teach in writing or in a video. Get yourself a soldering iron, some veroboard (stripboard) and some tinned copper wire. All relatively cheap and start soldering. Hold the iron at about 45 degrees to the joint you are attempting to solder and away you go. Make sure you have a damp sponge to clean the the tip on. Practice makes perfect!

Regards

Paul

I'm still up for this one. It's not been forgotten. Got myself involved with a power supply thread which I would like to concentrate on for now.

Angry

Soldering, in my experience, is not something you can teach in writing or in a video. Get yourself a soldering iron, some veroboard (stripboard) and some tinned copper wire. All relatively cheap and start soldering. Hold the iron at about 45 degrees to the joint you are attempting to solder and away you go. Make sure you have a damp sponge to clean the the tip on. Practice makes perfect!

Regards

Paul

practice always is the best way...but shouldn't one begin by watching someone else who is a pro do it so one can try to emulate the pro and do it right instead of soldering one's fingers together 14 times before figuring it out???

Too bad I don't have a dv cam or even a webcam I could teach you how to solder and de-solder using the most pain in the a$$ project I've ever gotten, apparently one of my teachers doesn't know that water and electronics are not good bed fellows.

He left a Cisco wireless bridge out in the rain (with the power on.) and blew out the RJ45 jack.

10 pins of soldering hell. Here I come! (8 conductors 2 ground planes)

I have to say soldering is second nature and I can do a pretty good job at. If I could produce a video of myself at it, soldering of course, how would I post it?

Regards

Paul

I have to say soldering is second nature and I can do a pretty good job at. If I could produce a video of myself at it, soldering of course, how would I post it?

Regards

Paul

Well, to get it started you could have it hosted on a torrent site so a few of us could get it. Depending on interest (and the size of the video) we could probably have it hosted on our ftp server. That'd up to Travis though.

The key is getting it edited down so it's a manageable size.