Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zapablast05

I'm still in a jam

Recommended Posts

I'm still in a jam about which card to buy. My options are 8800GS, 8800GT, 8800GTS 320MB, 9600GT and from ATi, the 3850/70.

 

I still haven't bought a new motherboard, but if I want to go with an SLi setup, I'd have to buy a new mobo that supports SLi and a new processor, but I'll be able to use the 2 cards in my current setup for the mean time. If I go CrossfireX, I would just have to buy a new mobo, but would only be able to use 1 card for the mean time.

 

I'm really doing my research about these cards. I'm curious about the 8800GS because of it's structure, it seems promising.

 

The 8800GTS 320MB is cheap as hell right now and that's a good amount of memory. For the record, I get 30-50 FPS on CoD4 at 1920x1080 on my 8600GTS at max settings, so I wonder what these cards will give me.

 

The 8800GT is the new black, it seems to be the video card standard now, and the 9600GT is out, and it performs better than the 8800GS so they say, but just as good as the 8800GT.

 

The only reason why I'm looking at those specific ATi cards is because they have 320SP's and they're dirt cheap and they seem like they out perform the 8800GT/GS on paper. Which of these cards would give me the best performance in my current rig?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From that list of choices i'd probably go with the 8800GT; or you can wait until the rest of the lineup for the 9x00 series becomes available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G/cards are the only component where I believe your money is very well spent, If you can wait and throw another few bucks together I would wait for the 9800 it will be an absolute demon of a card of that I have no doubt. You are kinda in no mans land at the moment, if you buy the 9600 the performance of the 9800 will surely kill it, and if you buy an 8800 in a short time you will be wanting the 9800. I Don't know what the release date of the 9800 will be but if you could wait until its 90 days or less then an EVGA stepup would be the smart way to go and basically you can get 9600 or 8800, enjoy it and then get rid of it for the 9800. Hard decision's all round but I kick myself everyday for not getting an EVGA card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×