Sign in to follow this  
aherrij

Attn ATI Fanbois - 3850/70 Price Drop

For those who hadn't heard:

AMD called us to announce new prices for the Radeon HD 3850 512 MB and HD 3870. In the USA tonight (and everywhere else soon after), e-tailer prices for the HD 3870 should drop from $245 to $189; The price of the HD 3850 512 MB should drop from $199 to $169.

Could this mean that something new is coming in the graphics world? Stay tuned.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/20/amd...00_price_drops/

Sweet! Now I'm glad I waited to pick one up... :cool:

For those who hadn't heard:

AMD called us to announce new prices for the Radeon HD 3850 512 MB and HD 3870. In the USA tonight (and everywhere else soon after), e-tailer prices for the HD 3870 should drop from $245 to $189; The price of the HD 3850 512 MB should drop from $199 to $169.

Could this mean that something new is coming in the graphics world? Stay tuned.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/20/amd...00_price_drops/

Sweet! Now I'm glad I waited to pick one up... :cool:

What it means is AMD is now going to loose money on every 38x0 that goes out the door.

It was bad enough that AMD proper was gushing red from every pore and now uncle Hector

has found yet another way to for AMD to bleed a little more. I swear that guy is a plant

from Intel lol!

Prediction...AMD will be a division IBM in less than 12 months.

Viper

9600GTs are right around the corner which kick AMD's cards butt.....

Think you will find the 9600GT's are faster than an HS3850 and slower than an

HS3870 so no butt kicking there lol.

Time will tell.

Viper

The nice thing about the 9600GT (if all of this ATi price reduction pans out) is that it will have forced ATi (and ATi's retail partners) to push the market price on the 3850's and 3870's back to where they should have been in the first place.

With that happening, it will make putting the 3850's or 3870's in Crossfire a real performance bargain.

Just wanted to share the good news. Price drops on new tech always means better competition. The consumer always wins, and in this case, we have NVIDIA to thank for essentially forcing ATI 38xx cards down in price. (E-tailers were partly to blame though, as short supply and hot demand kept prices at or above MSRP.) My guess is that 38xx cards were in short supply due to the 3870x2 roll out being prepped.

Now the price of the 9600GT falls in between the 3850 and 3870 and performance drops squarely in the middle of the two as well. Makes sense.