What's the best/fastest HDD...

TheReaper

Certainly a lot to consider. I really wanted the performance increase for DV production/3D studio etc. Will experiment. Thanks all.

Then go for it. Like already recommended, put two smaller drives in RAID0 - or for that matter three smaller drives in RAID0, to get the hdd performance increase you're looking for.

Just make sure to keep all of your work backed up to a reliable drive. Again, it all comes down to a solid backup plan for disaster recovery.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, tried a few dif raid setups. Didn't noctice a vast amount of performance increase when weighed against the amount of lost free disk space so decided to un-raid. Problem. followed all manual instructions, but in os environment the two new sata's are not there even though they are in bios. I deleted raid array according to the mobo manual, still no new hdd's.

One did so I formatted it in disk managment, then unplugged it and plugged the other one on same line, formatted it in disk management, now they both show up.

Thanks technodanvan.

OK, tried a few dif raid setups. Didn't noctice a vast amount of performance increase when weighed against the amount of lost free disk space so decided to un-raid. Problem. followed all manual instructions, but in os environment the two new sata's are not there even though they are in bios. I deleted raid array according to the mobo manual, still no new hdd's.

were you doing raid 1? because raid 0 is fast and you dont lose any space unless on hd is larger than the other

Hi no that was my mistake I realise it combined the raid0 to 320gb. But I really didn't notice any performance improvement. Tried online gaming, and 3d animations rendering, but seemed same speed. Would it/should it be a really noticable difference?

Hi no that was my mistake I realise it combined the raid0 to 320gb. But I really didn't notice any performance improvement. Tried online gaming, and 3d animations rendering, but seemed same speed. Would it/should it be a really noticable difference?

You're only going to notice it when running programs that intensively use the hard disks.

For example, loading a large game map (such as one in BF2 or newer games) will usually load noticeably faster. Loading Windows should be faster.

Once everything is loaded into memory though it isn't going to really gain you anything.

I believe some video processing programs may run more efficiently at higher speeds, those high-def ones that are multi-gigabytes in size....but the main reason "enthusiasts" run RAID 0 is simply because it's a relatively cheap way to make windows, games, and programs load faster.

OK, I thought it was just me because rendering was no faster. Also, loading/booting was actually longer/slower as after POST, it showed a new screen, detecting raid array, which just made the whole thing longer.