What's the best/fastest HDD...

TheReaper

OK, I thought it was just me because rendering was no faster. Also, loading/booting was actually longer/slower as after POST, it showed a new screen, detecting raid array, which just made the whole thing longer.

What stripe/cluster size did you use? This was an original installation right?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! :)

Here we go opening this can of worms again over what's the best stipe/cluster size :)

Hey it matters! Kinda. Not that much.

No faster on install, stripe and default 128 cluster.

Try this if you've got the time.

Try a 16kb stripe size for your array

When installing Windows use only a 30GB partition unless you absolutely think you need more. Use a separate partition for games to save space, 30 gigs should be more than enough for programs and your OS. Typically I only use an 18GB partition.

Use the full NTFS format option

Stripe is 128 / cluster is Windows NTFS default 4kb

Just so we are clear.

You can change the stripe size during the RAID array setup, you cannot change the the default cluster size unless you do so using the Windows disk management tool. Or alternatively another third party application that allows you to do that prior to the OS installation.

When setting up the array in BIOS, it has the cluster default as 128k, could it be because I'm having to use 64 Vista?

I'm not sure as I haven't ever checked the default cluster size on a Vista 64-bit OS. I thought all NTFS file systems had a default cluster size of 4kb.

I'll wait until someone with expert knowledge of the Vista 64-bit OS comes along and answers your question.

Honestly, I think this is the first time I've ever even heard of being able to change the cluster size using the RAID BIOS, since the cluster size is determined during the initial format and installation of Windows.

Even still I thought that 64kb was generally the default. Eh, might depend on the controller.

In every RAID0 setup I've ever done regardless of motherboard, the default or "optimum" stripe size has always been 64kb. In fact, a few years ago I posted the same question as to why the BIOS was programmed to reflect 64kbs as the default or optimum stripe size. When in reality the optimum stripe size should be selected based on the intended end use of that particular array.

This is just one quote from websites I read, it must be something to do with 64 bit or vista:

"I wanted to get the highest level of performance from my system, so I selected a RAID0 (Stripe) level for my drives. I left the strip size at 128KB, which is default for RAID 0"

Last paragraph at the bottom.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/454/1/

Could it be diff for 680i? I have no idea, just know I trust you guys and your advice.

I'll try 64k.

This is just one quote from websites I read, it must be something to do with 64 bit or vista:

"I wanted to get the highest level of performance from my system, so I selected a RAID0 (Stripe) level for my drives. I left the strip size at 128KB, which is default for RAID 0"

Last paragraph at the bottom.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/454/1/

Could it be diff for 680i? I have no idea, just know I trust you guys and your advice.

I'll try 64k.

64kb should be better, but if I remember right 16kb was one of the fastest you could use. Depends on your drives and what you're doing of course.