Another Cold boot sucker? Lazy leds and delayed start!

Guest Lusonico_merged

Guest Lusonico

Since beginning of 2005 a have been running this specs, with no problems beyhond the software related and the ocasional formating of hard drives for a fresh windows install.

In the last couple of days however, my pc just doesn't start right away. I never switch PSU off, i rather turn off the computer and then switch the UPS off. So when i turn the UPS ON, the lower power LED lights up really weak and takes 2 minutes to reach its fully bright and normal glare, the VDIMM led does not shows signs of life. I used to first push the button of the PC case to ON and the pc started like a minute after, on its own, now I have to wait a couple of minutes an then switch the PSU off and on, and immideatly press the PC power button wich then turns the PC ON (sometimes).

After it's ON it can be ON for days if needed, it never crashes not even during hard demanding programs like games and video convertion. It's just the starting.

I've read allot since there are dozens of cases of people with the same problem on Ultra-D motherboards, but its confusing because the cases are split beteween those who advocate its the MOTHERBOARD's fault and those who say it's the POWER SUPPLY's fault.

I also read my PSU sucks big time, but it has functioned well for so long and never causes crashes after the PC is on, it just does not make sense. I wish it was the PSU since if it is the MOBO then all my rig is dead, 939 motherboards are hard findings these days...

Can someone bring something new to this?

Why does the lower led starts so weak then turns brighter? Is it a resistance problem in the motherboard or power problem in the PSU? And why none of them gives trouble after i get the pc ON?

one of the components that really start to wear out over time is the PS, so even if it worked just fine for awhile, it can get dicey if the PS has some internals that are beginning to get weak.

seen it before...

laterzzzz.......

Guest Lusonico

Thanks for the response! Today i turned the PSU button on and waited 50 minutes while i was going for lunch, when i gor back, the VDIMM led was starting to show up really weak, and the PC started at the push of the button in the case front panel...

It's ironic, i choose this PSU because i tought it would outlive the rest of the components (CPU, MOBO, MEM) and that i could save it for my next build like i would save the monitor, hard drives, sound card, DVD drives and GPU.

I tought "wow 680 watts of power, that'll do!". Was not aware of the more fundamental things. At least it was cheap, it cost me 100 euros, when a 600W OCZ of the time would have cost me above 300... Oh well, at least now i can buy a Robust and highly efficient 700W modular PSU for 100 euros so paying 200 euros for two PSU is better than have paid 300 for an old overpriced brand PSU...