3870X2 in the house, any1 else has it ? youre experience here!

Imsochobo

Well, i got the 3870X2 on monday, or somewhere around there.

Okey, 2 days ago my mobo died, but i scored 11224 in 3dmark 06 @ 2.8 ghz 2mb amd x2, and 13k at 3.3 ghz.

Well, since my mobo died i applied it on my gf's comp, and hoped for some more gaming performance, not at all >_<, it scored 8048 now around 8500, and no big fps improvement, and SM scores doesnt increase alot either, therefore, if you got PCI-E 1.0 dont buy this videocard, but daaamn its fast on a system with PCI-E 2.0 and a decent cpu, a 5600+ is definetly toooo slow.

So i reccon as minimum

5600+ 2mb Or a E6600 or somewhere around there, 2.4-2,6 ghz 2mb/4 mb intel

A 400+ Watt as minimum running on 65 watt cpu, and no overclock if you dont wanna kill youre psu, and maybe risk to kill the videocard in same run.

PCI-E 2.0

1x PCI-E 6 pin powerconnectors.

thats minimum a reccon system would be like

3.2 ghz amd x2 2mb / 2.8 ghz intel dualcore 4mb

500 watts psu.

2xpci-e 6 pin/1x pci-e 6 pin 1x 8 pin.

PCI-E 2.0

If you got somewhat near this system, you gain alot on buying this videocard, if you wonder the score diffrence, its 9500 on a 3870 system, and 11224 on a 3870X2 quite a gain.

10500 to 13k @ 3.3 ghz.

Meaning the performance increase gets bigger with a more powerfull cpu, i studied the scores abit, and fps in diffrent games, and found out from 2.8 ghz to 3.2 ghz i notice more performance increase per 100 mhz than from 3.2 to 3.3 ghz, therefore recconed a 3.2 ghz amd, or something alike in the intel platform.

I cant say 100% sure on the intel platform, since i doesnt have as much info and experience on the intel platform as on amd, my scores said alot, and the 3870 X2 is lovely, works without a flaw, doesnt make too much noise, its like a ultra with more power in store and better features.

I would give this videocard a 9 out of 10.

Explaination, Lenght is just abit too long, but still at GTX levels.

The noise is just too loud.

Something we all should expect from a high end card, and in this case its the fastest out there till nvidia launches 9800 GX2. which will cost more.

Guest element

Nice to know we are back towards Cpu limitation again !

let's hope amd's next lot comes to the party. Forcing intel and nVidia to work harder ! I loved the results of the last round. :angel:

would you mind adding a few games?

Guest ElAguila

I agree. I have read numerous reviews and best I can get out of this is that while it is pcie 2.0 compatible, its internal pci lane is 1.1

HOHOHOHO, 9500 score with cpu OC @ 2400 :P 200 mhz, well this is s939, okey.

I compared to a friend of mine with am2 and a hd 3650 in his htpc ofc, well i got 2400 mhz 2mb s939 he am2 2.6 ghz 65nm 1mb cache.

And he scores 9200 in the cpu score while i do only 4800 hmm, is the old athlons really that slow ? shocking.

Well a 200 mhz increase increased my score with about 1000, same as on my main comp.

With no major fps boost, about 3-4 fps avg more on every test. which isnt much for all the hard work.(A64 110 watts are some hot beasts :S

Hey I'm new here but I thought I would chime in with my 3870 X2 results.

3D Mark 06 - 16195 @ default settings.

Catalyst 8.2

XP Pro SP2 32bit

Catalyst AI - Standard (If this is off the card seems to not use both cores and gets the same as a single 3870)

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @3.0Ghz - Asus Maximus Formula SE X38 - Ati HD 3870 X2 1Gb - 4Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066 - Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music - 2x WD 160Gb SATA II in Raid 0 - 2x Pioneer DVD-RW SATA Drives - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w Quad - Chenming 601 Full Server Case -

I would say that this Card is without a doubt bottlenecked by whatever CPU is installed. I should be able to get around 18000 or higher but I have to OC my cpu more which means that i need Water Cooling.

Guest ElAguila

I would like to see some more results. I am thinking of picking one of these up at the end of the month. Were those scores at 1280x1024? Also are you oc'ing the card? If so what settings and what kind of cooling?

Guest ElAguila

I am getting ready to order mine and I have aquestion about the power connections. My psu has 2 6-pin pci express plugs. I have seen that if you want to use the ccc overdrive you have to connect an 8-pin connector. Is there any advantage to using an adapter that use 2 molexes to adapt to an 8-pin connector over using just 2 6-pin connectors other than the ccc overdrive?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, lets do EVERYONE a favor and forget 3d mark scores.

While you may have differing opinions, the majority opinion is that these scores are 100% pure uselessness when it comes to how a card will play in a specific game.

Guys like me (who recommend hardware to more people than you can imagine both here at the forums and in real life) want to know about REAL games when upgrading. A 200,000 point 3dmark score might not tell the tale of only 33fps in a game like CoD4.

I just recommended an 8800GTS 512MB card today to a user because of how it performs in REAL games, not 3dmark.

I'm VERY interested in seeing this 3870X2 in real games (and especially at 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 resolutions more than anything). 3dmark means zero to me and means zero to my customers and means zero to majority of users here now that we know it has absolutely zero correlation to real game performance, so do us a favor and let us know how REAL games perform so that it will help us make informed decisions!