Setting up 2 raids?

Hemidare

Can i set up 2 raids with the nvidia raid controller? I have a 2x250 gb hard drives already setup in raid 1 with the nvidia raid controller but i was wondering can i setup another raid with raptors on the same controller. Hope that makes sense.

Can i set up 2 raids with the nvidia raid controller? I have a 2x250 gb hard drives already setup in raid 1 with the nvidia raid controller but i was wondering can i setup another raid with raptors on the same controller. Hope that makes sense.

Yes you can(well it might depend on which kind of raid)

I have an Ultra D and have been doing this for couple years(2 seprate raid0 arrays), so I'm pretty sure the Expert would have no probs doing it. I started with a 623-3 bios and used the original raid drivers on the floppy, now using the 04/06 bios and newest raid drivers, either way I've had no probs. I've always had sata1-2 for one array and 3-4 for another, don't think it makes a difference but could?

The only thing you have to make sure is that you set the correct array for "Boot" in the raid bios section, so it knows which one to boot from. I think I read somewhere that you cannot boot from both arrays for a multi OS boot setup(I could be wrong but think all OS's have to be on 1 array)

I'm not sure about the raid1 though so? What exact setup are you looking for? Like the raptors in raid 0 and the 2x250 gb hard drives in raid 1?

Yes, when you have the 2 new drives plugged in the nvidia sata ports, go to the RAID setup menu and you will have the option to create the new array choosing the drives listed in the "Free disks column"

Ok have everything hooked up right and all that stuff. But when i load the raid drivers and it loads up basic settings and stuff. This is in reference to a fresh reinstall on the raid controller nvidia. I get to the windows is starting screen and it blue screens and says i have a hardware problem. The 2 hard drives i am using are confirmed working and were working this morning in this machine.

i have tryed both drivers original and the latest ones from dfi. And yes when i go through the boot up process i have both of my raids show up and are healthy. Its weird the drivers load up properly but it freezes as soon as it says windows starting. Says something about check your hard drives and check for viruses then restart your computer. I have my sata dvd writer is plugged into the sil3114 and that is what i am trying to load my os off of. There has to be a setting somewhere that is screwing me around.

And i swapped my MB for a spare expert i have around and no change.

Download this.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_wi...2_amd_6.66.html

Run the setup file and once it has finished extracting all the files cancel the setup.

Then go to the C:NVIDIAnForceWin2KXP6.66IDEWinXPpataraid, folder.

Copy the 11 files to a blank floppy disk.

Now when you install Windows use this disk at the F6 bit.

Make sure you specify both of these.

- NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)

- NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller (required)

See if this helps.

I have reset my OC as well to stock settings and only my keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up. And blue screens as soon as it says it is starting up windows. Really weird and the only thing i have changed is the nforce raid has two raids on it and the sil raid has the dvd writer on it.

I have also tryed different OS's as well so it is'nt my disk.

Nope didnt fix it. Not sure what the hell is up with this thing. Any other suggestions?

I am running 2x250gb western digital hard drives in a mirrored array. That has always run fine on the nforce raid controller. Now i am trying to install on 2x36 gb raptors in a striped array, this array is also set to boot as well on sata 1,2 and the mirrored array is on 3,4.

Would i need to install a driver for the sil 3114 to use the dvd drive properly?