eVGA 780i + QX6850 + 4GB RAM + 8800Ultra + XP, having issues...

hi guys... figured I'd try to seek the help of other professionals here since SLIzone hasn't been much help. My issue is detailed here:

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showto...=0entry120394

Basically, sometimes often, sometimes only once in a while, but almost all the time on things like Control Panel and Start Menu & Taskbar Properties, I get a hang when loading the stuff, sometimes as short as 2-4 seconds, which is normal, and sometimes up to 40 seconds or more :(

I don't know why this is happening.

I'm currently at STOCK everything and it's STILL doing it. I have reinstalled my OS 4 times now, on 3 different HDDs, fresh installs with fresh formats, and it has had no effect.

Right now I'm up to 18 hours of Prime95 stability at stock testing, and it's doing it on this install too.

It's like my system is having to "spool up" before it can freakin' do things sometimes. I don't have anything stupid like TMI or C1E enabled in BIOS.

This has been happening every since I fried a 1600W Ultra PSU & 780i while attemping Triple SLI for the first time, I RMAed the board cuz it wouldn't power up, got a brand spankin' new one back, which is what I'm using now. The PSU is still being shipped back to me, so I'm on my Fortron 1000W. It runs great, except for this frackin' lag. THE ODDEST PART IS: THE LAG DOES NOT HAPPEN IN GAMES. AT ALL. WTF?

Anyone have ANY ideas? I've tried defragging as well, no effect. I've virus scanned all my drives with several different VSers through the different installs, no viruses of any kind, I'm not installing any new programs at all, same stuff I've been using for the past two years.

After it tests 100% stable at stock for 24 hours, I'm going to try different RAM to see if maybe my RAM took a hit, and if that has no effect, I may order a new hard drive, but I am so close to throwing in the towel it's not even funny. I've been having issues for 2 1/2 weeks straight now, ever since I took my damn LC off to clean it out and put new coolant in it. I've been through 3 motherboards now, cuz I got a new 780i, killed it, went back to the 680i I had, now I'm on a new 780i, reinstalled each time. The issue first surfaced on the 680i upon reinstall, I think... I can't remember.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

EDIT: Just noticed how out of date my signature is ::Copies her siggy from SLI Zone:: here's my specs (at my last tested stable settings):

Elizabeth QX ~ Stable

CoolerMaster Stacker 832 Case - New eVGA 780i Motherboard W/VDROOP Mod (Stock BIOS)

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 @ 3.8GHz 1.4875Vs, (422x9)

Cooled by DangerDen TDX775, BlackIce XtremeIII Radiator, Laing D5 Pump & 1/2" tubing

4GB of RAM (2x2GB) Mushkin XP2-8500 @ 844MHz 4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.2Vs (1:1)

2x 500GB + 1x 320GB Western Digital Hard Drivers (Xp on 500GB #1, Vista on 500GB #2)

Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD - Creative X-Fi Fata1ty Championship Series Sound Card

1 eVGA 8800Ultra Superclocked @ Core: 655MHz, Shader: 1665MHz, Mem: 1125MHz

Logitech G15 Keyboard - Logitech G5 Laser Mouse - Fellows Gel Mouse Pad

Non-Gaming OS: Windows XP SP2 32-Bit - Gaming OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

Power Supply: Ultra X3 1600 Watt PSU (Total +12V~117A) (RMA Inbound, Currently on my 1000W backup)

3DMark06 Record: 20774

Only thing I haven't even thought of yet is a BIOS update, but I doubt that'll help, I'm gonna try it though, soon as this tests stable so I know it won't f**k up the BIOS Flash.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charmed,

40 seconds or more would really piss me off! But just so you don't feel so all alone, I notice slight delays on my rig too (albeit totally different platforms).

I believe Windows is kind of "polling" all of the information on your rig like hard drives, file locations, file contents, network files and printers etc.

One thing I've noticed is that if I disable "Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers" that this lag is reduced a little bit. Unfortunately, since my main rig is also a server for our home network that isn't an option for me, so I have to deal with the lag. But if your rig isn't on a network of any sorts you can disable this feature.

My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View>Files and Folders (uncheck the option to Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers)

That may help, but probably not the root of your problem - worth a try I guess.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ya, try different RAM, on my DFI sometimes it takes forever to load pics, and all they are screenshots, try cleaning out temp folder?

What i don't understand is why this is suddenly an issue when it never has been.

However, it appears you MAY have been spot on. I'll test it out when I'm not priming the holy god out of the machine :) LOLs.

Thank you VERY much for the quick response, however little or lot helpful it turns out to be Wevs, one of the first OS-based problem solving steps I've heard for my issue. It at least helped with Control Panel taking so darn long to pull up sometimes, so far.

EDIT:

Cancel that, it's still there... frackin' whore ::sigh::

Forgive me but I'm pretty tired... do I do that with Internet Options or the Temp folder in Windows folder?

in XP; Start>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup; also delete th contents of C:WindowsTemp

Vi$ta IDK

now when you say on XP is that a stripped XP or XP with all updates...?

I have noticed XP-sp1 really flies but once I add SP2 it gets bogged down and certain updates really put the crawl on somethings....you may have a update not playing nice with your set-up...?

One thing you might consider......

And I'm not going to promise anything......

When I did my last fresh format and install I slipstreamed SP3 into my installation CD. This is the snappiest Windows has been since SP1. After installation there were almost ZERO updates to Windows.

Might be worth a try. And of course clean up everything as already suggested. Clean out your prefetch files, recent documents, temp folder, IE temp and cookies etc. and see if that has any positive impact. I use XP Smoker for making that task easier.

One thing you might consider......

And I'm not going to promise anything......

When I did my last fresh format and install I slipstreamed SP3 into my installation CD. This is the snappiest Windows has been since SP1. After installation there were almost ZERO updates to Windows.

Might be worth a try. And of course clean up everything as already suggested. Clean out your prefetch files, recent documents, temp folder, IE temp and cookies etc. and see if that has any positive impact. I use XP Smoker for making that task easier.

I haven't played around with SP3 at all, been too busy playin' Crysis. That's the weirdest part is that it games just fine. I don't understand that at all. You'd think it was have freeze/lag issues in game too.