How to upgrade Motherboard+CPU without reinstalling Vista?

its still doing the upgrade process.

I don't think anyone should ever have to so a fresh install unless they want to. If you're fine with reinstalling all your apps all the time then go right ahead and do a fresh install with every upgrade, but I like to install a lot of programs, I like to have my programs customized to my liking, and I don't like setting that all up over again. I decided to do a fresh install when I installed vista because I had heard a lot of issues happen when upgrading windows. I personally never have had issues in the past but I could see where they come from. But after I did a fresh install I spent nearly all my time for the next several days and weeks installing my old software. I wasn't really able to just enjoy vista right after install. That's my main problem with it, I'd rather just enjoy my new hardware or OS instead of sitting there forever getting all my software and settings back.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, this is frustrating. I did this upgrade because I wanted faster render times in my3d modeler (blender 3d). I rendered a scene before the upgrade, at full 1920x1080 HD. Before the upgrade it took about 7.5 minutes, now its taking like 16 minutes. I did change the thread count from 2 to 4. Could there be a reason an upgrade that should have nearly doubled my speed is only going half as fast as my original?

Oh, crap, is it possible that I may have gotten the wrong kind of board? I mean it says it's compatible with Phenom, but I'm seeing that Phenom's are supposed to have a HT of 2600 MHz (HT 3.0) and this board is only doing 1000 MHz. Could this be the reason I'm getting poor performance?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813135074

Phenom is listed under it's compatible processors so it should work. Are you seeing all four in the task manager?

I could be mistaken but I believe you take your HT x2. It's been a long time so take that with a grain of salt.

Phenom is listed under it's compatible processors so it should work. Are you seeing all four in the task manager?

I could be mistaken but I believe you take your HT x2. It's been a long time so take that with a grain of salt.

yes I see all four but the other Phenom Boards I'm seeing are 2600 MHz HT(5200MT)

I'm going to do an RMA and get a board with one of those HT's. Plus this board kind of sucks too, there are literally NO OC settings whatsoever. I kind of figured there wouldn't be much, but none? Come on.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting much, but I was hoping there'd be some kind of control.

This board:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813131234

Should be coming tomorrow, now I' going to have to go through the whole process again lol here we go...

I would have bought a more expensive board to begin with but I haven't had a job since September... The only reason I could afford this stuff is because of my tax refund.

for that kind of money the TA770 biostar in my sig has a hell of a lot of clocking options for less money.Getting the DFI fx790 soon after ive researched the bugs and fixes.Also waiting on the newer bioses to be already installed.This TA770 flies at 3.2 g, just running it through the wringer to make sure its stable before upgrading the sig to 3.2 and turning it over to my wife once i get the DFI.