Sign in to follow this  
Audiocracy

SLI-DR won't boot unless I jump-start the PSU

Hello all. After finding this forum over 2 years ago and building my own DFI rig with your help, I've recently run into some trouble with my rig which has been running fine for over a year and a half. A couple of months ago, It started exhibiting the cold boot bug. Normally a CMOS reset would fix my problem, but it seems to have escalated. After turning the computer off for the whole weekend, I came back to discover that it would not boot. I figured it was the cold bug and that a CMOS reset would fix the problem, as it usually does. Upon closer inspection, I found that the 5VSB LED at the bottom of the mobo near the PCI slot was flashing. I couldn't boot the computer no matter what I tried. I found several other threads here about the problem with most people saying it's the PSU, but I tested the PSU rails and found that they were within specs, all 4 connectors are plugged in and my PSU is on the recommended PSU list.

Here's where the story gets more weird. I followed the advice I found in the other threads: Removed the mobo and reassembled outside the case, long (24+ hour) CMOS reset, memory module in DIMM2, etc and nothing seemed to work. While bleeding out my water cooling loop by jumping the PSU, I had a wild thought: What if I started the PSU up and then plugged it into my mobo? I plugged everything in besides the 24 pin connector, jumped the wires from the backside of the connector with a paperclip, and then started my power strip. The mobo started up including both status lights, the 4 diagnostic lights and my chipset cooler. I plugged the 24 pin connector in and the computer booted up. I reset the BIOS but had to repeat this procedure to get into windows after the BIOS reboot as keeping the paperclip in prevents the computer from turning off and yanking the paperclip causes the computer to immediately shut down with the flashing 5VSB LED.

Now, as I'm writing this, the mobo seems to be somewhat back to normal and will boot into windows but when I shut down the computer, the lower 5VSB LED will start blinking again, however it will eventually stop and stay lit (mocking me as I try to ask for help for a problem which has sort-of fixed itself). I don't know if the motherboard will behave this way when I re-assemble it so I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to remedy this? Do you think I need a new PSU or a motherboard? The computer boots into windows (albeit with a little help) and the PSU has good rails and runs the computer (also with a little help). Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I'd think that the problem is more likely the PSU rather than the MB. Do you have another PSU available that you could try out?

I had the same problem, it was the psu that was dying. The psu did work when jumpstarted. I believe the dfi nf4 boards sometimes kills the weak standby rail of psu`s because of some bug in the custom dram power system.

measuring output on a PS without a load is useless...more than likely the feedback on startup is just too much for the PS and trips the internal circuit breaker, thus the reason you can start your computer with the start it up, plug it in scenario.

a new 480w minumum PS should have you up and running again...

laterzzzzz....

Thanks for the replys! Oddly enough, the motherboard has been able to hold a standby voltage and will shut down and start up normally. Now to back up my data and then look into getting a new PSU. Thank you.