Sins of a Solar Empire

Angry_Games

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, when bowtie and bro told EllisD and I they made a post on the forums about the Mini Dump and to check it out we thought we'd be cool and ...not. I said I was gonna pull the Roadrunner theory out on them and say if I didn't know about it then it wouldn't happen. But I forgot one key thing... bowtie gave me the Wile avatar ...not the Roadrunner avatar. I'm sure you can guess what happened next. We were doing pretty good too. Can confirm that starting over from the last saved point does not work ...I even rebooted before we began just to be safe.

I can clearly see they think it is in the 1.0.1 code but none of us saw it till the 1.0.4 build and just about the whole gaming force saw it but Angry (who left early) and EllisD. So I'm gonna have to throw out a bastardized version of Inigo Montoya's line and say,.. I don't think it means what they think it means. :cool: Which means they need all the help they can get.

Reelfiles, twocents and I tried the new test EXE and played a 6-Player Map. Reelfiles got the Mini Dump, then we loaded up the last Auto Save and tried again. Same result as EllisD and I had ...crashed at exactly the same point it did the first time. We tried looking for that SyncError file ...even scanned our HDDs for anything close to that and no go.

So I'm with Reel on this one, this is so damn common let others be the guinea pig. Plus, it's not even generating the file like it's supposed to so how can we help when there is no file to send off.

Suggestion for those who want to go back to 1.0.2. Rename all Angry's and my maps in your Galaxy folder. So if on 1.0.4 rename my 1.0.2 maps with a v102 at the end and keep the 1.0.4 version with the original name. Then if you switch back to 1.0.2 rename the 1.0.4 maps to v104 at the end and then erase the v102 from the 1.0.2 maps.

Ex

Ninja Star.galaxy to Ninja Star v102.galaxy

Other suggestion is to save the contents of the following two directories into a temp folder/s when you uninstall the game so you can just copy & paste the stuff back in after re-installing:

Program FilesStardock GamesSins of a Solar EmpireGalaxy

Program FilesStardock GamesSins of a Solar EmpireTextures

Just suggestions to save some time later on. Anyhow, I'm going back to 1.0.2 as well because we can't finish a game on 1.0.4 and the Test .EXE isn't generating the file it's supposed to so no point there.

hey guys

doc said some of you play through the week. let me know if ya want to play a game.

I'm up until around 10pm

ps hey doc I bought that mother board and it should be here by the weekend maybe

didn't you say you had a processor for it?

I may be up for a game when i get home, but that wont be until ~7:30pm PST so it might be a bit late to start on your end. Also, i am getting my Rad, Hose, and a few other bits so i might be trying to figure out how to fit all this stuff in my case, lol.

We will see what time i get home at.

yes I have a 148 Opteron CPU for that board...

also download this and install it...

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/launch/?utm_s...aign=postlaunch

thats a FireFox browser...you install it and use it instead of IE and when you write your post it has spell checker....the words underlined in RED are misspelled...then you right click them and select the right spelling....doc

I finally have the demo up and running and find it to be similar to Galactic Civilizations in that it is a huge area with tiny little pieces that you have to zoom in on to work with. To make matters worse, once you learn the interface it moves glacially slow.

I haven't played GalCiv in many months, I find I still prefer the simpler Masters of Orion II, primarily for the ease of the interface. The entire map fits on my screen and I can see everything of consequence readily.

I was up until 6 in the morning playing the demo, so it does have its addictive qualities but I'm not sure I can justify $45 for a 2 dimensional GalCiv, no matter how well done.

Of course, knowing how things have gone for me lately, now that I've gone on record like this, I will probably own it before the end of next month ... :rolleyes: