Sign in to follow this  
BlindGuardian

All leds blinking on and off on MB not just diagnostics led on bottom

I've tried searching everywhere and I could not find anything that comes remotely close to my issue.

So far the only time this happens is when I play World of Warcraft and it's very sporadic, may happen a couple times or may go a week without occuring. I was going to assume my issue is temps but my system is watercooled and even though temps are somewhat higher then usual they are not over the top.

Basically while playing wow the system will freeze solid and I have to power off completely, upon trying turning the power off on the PSU and back on all the LEDS on the motherboard and even the NICs; not just the diagnostic lights at the bottom start flashing orange/yellow on and off and no matter how many times I mash the power button it will not start up.

I need to leave the system PSU powered off for 5-10 minutes and then it may start up again.

At first I thought it could be a PSU issue but the voltages look consistent without any dips or fluctuations.

I know others have complained of this bug in wow but no one can prove it's wow and not hardware issues their support will not confirm/deny anything is wrong just the generic check your system blah blah blah.

The blinking on and off orange leds on every section there is an LED on the motherboard is what's got me wondering if there is possibly something wrong aside from buggy game code.

My hardware has remained unchanged in my sig. I change the water out of my system regularly but admit it can use a good cleaning/soak in vinegar and new tubing, I am reluctant for this endevor as I'd rather wait till I upgrade and have to put new components in anyway. This system still has plenty of life in it so I may have to conceed to this sooner or later anyway, I just don't think it's the temps that are causing the lockups as it's never been an issue in any other application.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, this is not an issue that is preventing me from using my machine but I would like to know why it is occuring all the same and what I can do to prevent it.

Thanks in advance.

Is your system Memtest and Orthos stable?

Have you checked your psu voltage rails when the system is at idle and then under a heavy load (like when you're playing WOW?)

I have not done a memtest per se but I did leave it burning in prime on both cores all day while at work with no lockups or adverse side effects. System has been running without issues for almost 2 years now. I have not checked the voltages under load but any other stressful application/game what have you works fine and never have I experienced this with any other software.

I recently started playing wow again 2 weeks ago and this is why this is an issue all of a sudden. and it doesn't happen consistently enough to lead me to believe it's hardware related? I honestly don't know, I would assume it's a power supply without anymore information to go on as the would most likely be the cause of hard locks without blue screens and the issue of not starting up but I'm reluctant to assume as much since everything else works fine.

Specifically I was hoping there was some explanation for all the blinking leds on every led on the motherboard, not just the diagnostics as to what that is? It can't be good but I can't find any documentation from DFI on this, just the codes for the diagnotics led at the bottom. Something that would definately say it's one thing or another.

I'll double check my voltages with a multimeter but was wondering if anyone had an idea of what that is. I think I googled something about being a fluke with the board.

Sorry, I'm at a loss here. Just want advice on what to look at specifically. It's most likely a bug in their software as there was a 40 page thread about the lock ups occuring for people with mostly Nvdia and some ATI cards, my only gripe is why the lockups effectively put my system out of commision for 10-15 minutes which could be something else entirely, and of concern.

Here's a great tutorial on checking your voltage rails;

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=137886

And a darn fine question from speed concerning any possible video card overclocking issues. Albeit generally those would usually manifest themselves as graphics corruption before causing a hard lock, you never know. Very good point and excellent question speed.

And a darn fine question from speed concerning any possible video card overclocking issues. Albeit generally those would usually manifest themselves as graphics corruption before causing a hard lock, you never know. Very good point and excellent question speed.

Yeah 1 forgot to post that my 1st assumption was that possibly the memory is the problem, possibly run memtest(test 5 and/or 8) for a couple hours or so. Even if it passes memtest that DOES NOT!!! mean that it will be stable as I and many others have noted/verified. sp2004 or OCCT is a better program for testing stability of the entire system.

No the video card is not OC'd and I upgraded to the latest drivers the first time this occurance took place. I'm not questioning my systems overall stability as it has passed 12+ hours of prime on both cores in tandem.

Just this one application and then the subsequent results with the machine refusing to boot thereafter and the flashing leds wherever there is an led on the board including nics.

I appreciate your help, I've definately thought about these things and value the 2nd opinion but I'm not sure there is an answer, I was just wondering given the scenario what anyone thought. Memory errors would be persistent not just this one application and definately not Prime Stable.

This happened to me last night after 3-4+ hours of straight gameplay(it's been 1 day since this happened before), then after this occured same symptoms as described above I was able to get it back up and running and continued playing for 3 more hours without issue.

I just don't know how to explain this, logically a faulty component would cause this to occur more frequently when being stressed I assume, which makes no sense for the gaps in time this symptom appears and then working perfectly for hours after the fact.

Again I would assume overheating or PSU but I don't see anything to indicate either especially when PRIME generates load/heat/psu strain and is stable.

Looking from outside in you can't take my word for it and everything must have a logical explanation but all things considered stated as truth what would you try next if you thought the PSU/MEMORY/VIDEO CARD was not an issue?

Just confirming this doesn't make any sense is good enough for me at this point. I'll chalk it up to newly introduced software bugs and hopefuly they get fixed in a later update.

Well????

Have you tried OCCT or prime again or lately since you've had these probs? If not I would try that again for a couple hours to rule out the memory. If you have w/o out issues then the only thing I would think of is the psu since the video card and such aren't running in prime and you have probs when gaming.

But again this is coming from a guy with an under rated and not recomended psu that doesnt have any issues, so??

Hello,

Prime95/memtest does not use the GFX card, when you play a game this = max power drain.

2 years old, usually the first thing to go is the PSU.

You mentioned that the temps are not over the top, what are the CPU, PWM and chipset temps when at load?

Guest erico

I had an identical occurrence although when gaming. My system would neither boot nor post. My mobo is an NF4 UT SLI-D. I upgraded my BIOS to a Taiwan version and it happened. I ended up doing a "clear CMOS" as is detailed here in the forums for DFI motherboards. After completion of the long clear (@ 1 hour) CMOS process the strange LEDs blinking behavior (including the power button led on the case) went away and has not recurred.

I hope you have already solved your problem without not giving up and buying another system or motherboard.

Regards,

Eric

I think I've resolved my issue.

In a recent WoW patch maybe 2 or 3 patches ago they introduced dual core support or better optimizations in their code. I've never had an issue prior because it was never using both cores aggresively if at all. If I set affinity to just core 0 it seems to be much more stable and I do not see a loss in performance.

Either 2 things going on, one of my cores is weaker and the overclock is interfering which doesn't make sense since it passes prime. Or their code is has issues with dual core and they are oblivious or not advertising since it works 75% of the time without crashing.

Other people have the same symptoms with the WoW crashing, it's just that when it happens to my DFI board I get the weird symptoms. Lately however I've let it just hang there for a 30-60 seconds and then press and hold down the power button to shut off, this usually let's me just repower back up instead of getting blinking LEDs everywhere, perhaps I was somehow triggering a sleep mode pressing and holding the power?

perhaps I was somehow triggering a sleep mode pressing and holding the power?

Depends on how you have your power management features set up in BIOS and Windows.

Glad to hear you were able to pinpoint the problem. Congratulations!