Strange white square on desktop?

TheReaper

Hi all, I have noticed a tiny white square in the top left hand corner of my desktop which was never there before. It's only about 10 pixels in size.

Any ideas what it is?

2mbps virgin bband, old 19inch svga philips monitor at 1280x1024 res, asus ati radeon eax1600 pro silent 512mb card with 8.1 drivers.

XP x64 all updates installed SP2.

It's not on x86 version.

I have no themes or desktop image just blank standard blue background with recylce bin icon.

Neat :)

Does it still appear if you boot into Windows safe mode? Give that a try and let me know what happens. Need to determine whether this might be a driver corruption of some sorts or a hardware problem.

Does the white box remain if you use another desktop background or when you are running a screen saver?

In Windows Safe Mode your video card drivers are not loaded, just using the generic Windows vga drivers.

I would uninstall your current drivers, then use Driver Cleaner Pro to zap any remaining ATi .dll and leftover program files / folders.

Then reinstall your ATi video card drivers. Hey, you wanted to try the latest driver release anyway right? :)

Anyway, it's a good sign that it doesn't appear in Safe Mode. Doesn't appear to be a hardware or connection issue then.

Let me know how it goes.

Reaper,

Ok to mark this thread as resolved then?

please dont wevsspot :) i'd love to know if hes sorted the problem using catalyst 8.1 ?????

i'll do the same if its gonna work, but dont fancy all that mucking around if its gonna still be odd after.

cheers

gm