Sign in to follow this  
charlie22911

Its offical, im apart of the U.S. Navy!

thx all, thought you guys would have forgot about me being a member since i have been away so long LOL!

SuppA-SnipA, im not sure about mp5, but i do know that in basic we live fire pistols and shotguns :D.

Blooz1, i hear alot of good things about the nuke field, hopefully i wont grow an arm from my head or something weird...

Dragoe, thats why i chose I.T. :D

technodanvan, im not so eager to leave, which is why i pushed back til october... but that doesn't mean im not excited! if you did nuke in the navy, that would be freaking awesome if we ended up in the same area ;). nuke spots are hard to fill, hence the boost in pay raise to E-4, ability to go up faster, and nice benefitsbonuses :D

BTW, i was waiting for someone to crack a semen joke, LMAO... and i would never get on a sub either, no way no how...

Sorry :) Good luck on your assignment though! You'll definitely be ahead of the game when you come out. One of my friends was a sonar tech on a sub and good gawd did that guy have sensitive ears. He could have headphones on listening to music and I could be on the otherside of a wall whispering to some chick and he would jump around and comment on something SHE said. (girls whisper softer than we DO!) Dude freaked me out with that .. I mean seriously, that's just not natural.

I just got out of the Navy after 10 years. Yes I know everything about the Nuke field. I was a Nuke Electrician and spent the last 4 years training the noobs coming in. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you do decide to do the nuclear power thing, be ready for 6 years of fun. You get to spend a year and a half after boot camp working your butt off and getting crapped on, BUT once you get out it's a pretty good deal.

Hmm my last post didn't show up, here's a recap.

I was in the Navy for 10 years as a Nuke Electrician. I just got out in November and I'm loving it. If you have any questions let me know, I was an instructor for the last phase of training for the past 4 years.

Fogel, i have really good hearing as well apparently, during my physical (ugg) my hearing test results were perfect except for 2 or 3 points off on the 6000Hz and 9000Hz range in my left ear... my vision wasn't 2020 but the guy put it down as that anyway since its probably eye strain from being in front of a PC all the time... he said it would get better after a break from computers (yeah right :D).

BlueAqua, congrats on getting out! i do actually have a question for you... in your day to day work, what kind and how much math did you do? i absolutely hate math and im not good at it... but i study general relativitystring theorym theoryother theories for fun... seeing what is possible and how things work is like something from a scifi movie :O... right now im reading the "food for thought" area on www.blazelabs.com as its interesting and seems allot like string theory with the whole "standing wave" concept... anyways, enough rambling lol.

EDIT:

michio kaku is probably one of the best at putting things into lamence tearms, and one example of why i study the above theorys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1YISR8vN0U&feature=related

neat aint it?

Guest SuppA-SnipA

Charlie22911 - im sure that if u went on missions / operations, u'd use mp5's :)

Charlie, math is a very integral part of the Nuclear power field. You're going to have to get good with it, but once you go through nuke school you'll use it less and be more hands on.

Don't be afraid of a submarine, I was on the USS Alabama (SSBN 731) for 4 and a half years and it was fine. Better that with 150 other guys who you have to rely on besides 5000 people who you would never know. If you want an important job with more satisfaction, go subs all the way, don't be a target.

Once you get on your boat you have to qualify all these different duties and watchstations. This is pretty challenging but once qualified it's a lot better. So really think that the first 3 years you'll be a noob and have no seniority at all until some new nub comes to the boat after you. Once qualified it's a good job, you get more respect and you actually know what you're doing(a little). There is always continued training which always keeps you studying and there are always more qualifications, supervisory qualifications, not to mention college stuff if you can. The Nuke electricians are the 2nd most busy division on a boat, they own everything, we fix everything everyone else breaks. It's pretty rewarding, but while your buds are burning the newest (could be 3 months old or more by the time you're out) flick on the mess decks you're balls deep in a machine doing regular maintenance.

It's not all glamor but if you're going to join the Navy you might as well get something out of it, go nuke.

Read up on Nuclear power.

http://www.cientificosaficionados.com/libr...02%20of%202.pdf

Ohio class sub video:

I was an Aviation Electronics Technician for 11 years and made it all the way to 1st Class before they demoted me to Ensign. I served another 11 years as an officer and my last job with a Squadron was as the AvArm Division Officer.

My last 5½ years in the Navy I spent at the US Naval Academy teaching. I taught Basic Electronics as well as Digital Logic and Computer Design. I guess I enjoyed teaching so much that I agreed to extend my tour past the normal 3 years and got passed over for promotion, so retired as a Lieutenant.

From start to finish, I've done a little bit of everything from cleaning toilets to flying in submarine hunter aircraft. While surface craft may be targets, submarines aren't that hard to find, even US submarines as quiet as they are. At least on a surface ship you have the option of jumping over the side and swimming for a raft if it's going down ... :eek:

Hope your new career in the Navy goes well, whatever direction you decide to take.

Here are your options as a nuke:

Nuke Mechanic

Nuke Electrician

Nuke Electronics technician

The only places you can go are submarines(all nuclear powered now) and carriers. Carriers have some ridiculous sea shore rotations. Since 9/11 their schedules have been a lot more rigorous and their time out to sea has extended a lot. Ballistic missile submarines schedules stay the same and are more predictable. Fast attack submarines go along with carrier battle groups and other strange stuff. The newest Guided missile submarines(SSGNs) are going to be forward deployed possibly in Guam and in Italy. No idea of their schedule so far as I don't know anyone on one yet.

If you like to work a lot go nuke, otherwise pick something that sounds fun honestly. No need to spend 6 years of doing something you don't like.

Fogel, i have really good hearing as well apparently, during my physical (ugg) my hearing test results were perfect except for 2 or 3 points off on the 6000Hz and 9000Hz range in my left ear...

Oui vei, Aiii Ya!, Mama MIA, Loco en la CABESA!,.. Great! Another freak! I'm not saying anything within 10,000 yards of you!

my vision wasn't 2020 but the guy put it down as that anyway since its probably eye strain from being in front of a PC all the time... he said it would get better after a break from computers (yeah right :D).

Sounds like military reasoning to me. :rolleyes:

Go for the Nuke program and you won't be sorry. But don't volunteer for Sub school unless you really think you can handle it. Submariner is a tough duty all the way around.

Got some buddies from high school that went that route and they are now professors and scientist doing research.

Even if you just become an operator at a nuke plant it's all good.