Sign in to follow this  
charlie22911

Its offical, im apart of the U.S. Navy!

Well i joined the navy and have already processed at MEPS in Jacksonville. the job i have been contracted to go in is information technology, but i just got a call from my recruiter saying that one of the chiefs is offering me a job in the "nuclear field"... I'm told this is the hardest rate to qualify for in the navy and that is comes with a hefty bonus, so I'm supposed to talk with him to find out what i want to do. as it stands currently with my job i have now, i ship out October 7. i will be sure to post back here about my job change since this seems to be big :D.

Charlie McPherson

:drool:

Congrats. Have a buddy that just finished Marine basic and several friends that are in the Army and Navy. You have my respect and best wishes.

Now that that is out of the way...can I crack my seamen joke now? LMAO

Welcome back to being a semen ..ah hem... seaman. sorry :)

Get ready for more lame jokes like that. :sweat:

Grats Charlie,

My son is an "I.T." guy for the Navy. Hes done a few different jobs there and traveled all over the world, including two tours in Iraq. He was in on the initial attack. He is lovin it at the moment and finally after six years ended up back on the West Coast, in San Diego, with the Navy Seals. I can see him occasionally now. He has only good things to say about his job and the Navy. So if you do not get that Nuclear post position, "I.T." is still very good.

Good Luck to ya.

Guest Blooz1

Congrats, Charlie!

If you get a shot at the nuke job, go for it! That's one area that can pay off big time in the future after you get out of the Navy - ex USN people who've been in the nuclear field make big bucks with utilities and even in new technologies. (A local company here that builds fuel cells was looking recently for field service reps, and they were especially interested in people with USN nuke experience. Just one example)

Well i joined the navy and have already processed at MEPS in Jacksonville. the job i have been contracted to go in is information technology, but i just got a call from my recruiter saying that one of the chiefs is offering me a job in the "nuclear field"... I'm told this is the hardest rate to qualify for in the navy and that is comes with a hefty bonus, so I'm supposed to talk with him to find out what i want to do. as it stands currently with my job i have now, i ship out October 7. i will be sure to post back here about my job change since this seems to be big :D.

Charlie McPherson

:drool:

I talked with them last Thursday. I've been waiting for the last few months to see if I'm accepted for COT school in the Air Force but I'm getting tired of waiting (I was supposed to know in December). The Navy recruiter said I could be shipped off this Saturday if I wanted to go into Nuclear Engineering. Sounds like they're really hurting, I know there were some good benefits for engineers coming out of college if they went into officer training, I wasn't really qualified though. And now they're bringing enlisted into it, which apparently makes me almost over qualified.

Doesn't sound like a bad job, but I have to give the Air Force a few more weeks before I outright enlist. My application is complete anyways, so no matter what it won't take long.

Anyhoo, maybe I'll see you there.